World Bulletin/News Desk
Syrian forces freed two Italians workers from a group of rebels who kidnapped them earlier this month, Syrian state media said on Saturday.
Italy's foreign minister described the news of the release as a positive development.
"Our forces have managed to release two Italians who were kidnapped by terrorists in the Damascus countryside," state television said on Saturday.
The Italians, employees of a subcontractor for energy technology group Ansaldo Energia, were detained by armed men on July 17 as they drove to the airport to fly out of the country, according to Italian media.
"The release of our two nationals by the groups that held them in the last few days is a very positive development," Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said in a statement.
"We continue to follow developments through all available channels, to arrive at a swift conclusion," he said without offering any other details.
A report in Italian daily Secolo XIX had said last Saturday that the men were travelling in a convoy of 20 staff who worked for Ansaldo when they were captured.
The two men had become separated from the group when it was stopped and ended up in the hands of a rebel group, the newspaper said, citing a colleague of the men who managed to leave Damascus. The others made it home safely.
'There was a slight intrusion a mile deep by a Russian plane from Syria into our airspace, but it was immediately resolved and the Russian plane returned towards Syria,' Israeli defense minister says
Protest by the kingdom appeared to refer to remarks posted on Khamenei's Twitter account accusing Bahrain's 'tyrant minority' of 'desecrating' things sacred to the Shiite majority
Policemen died when the assailants fired on their vehicle in an area between the famed Giza pyramids west of Cairo and the Saqarra pyramids to the south
A new oil contract will replace a buy back programme and new joint ventures with international companies once the sanctions are lifted next year
At least five Russian airstrikes have targeted humanitarian aid trucks coming from Turkey to aid Syrian refugees in the past two days
Turkmen factions have launched a ground offiensive and have made noticable advances against Assad regime forces
Israeli Foreign Ministry director visits United Arab Emirates' capital Adu Dhabi to finalize opening of mission
Five people are killed when Russian warplanes strike targets in opposition-held area of Syria's northwestern Idlib province
At least 180,879 civilians have been killed by the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria since March 2011, Syrian Network for Human Rights says
Saudi Arabia has long been deeply suspicious of Hezbollah, a close ally of its regional rival Iran
Thousands of Turkmen reportedly displaced by ongoing assaults by regime and Russian warplanes in Syria's predominantly-Turkmen Bayirbucak region
A dozen people killed in separate bombings and shooting attacks across war-torn Iraq, local sources report
'Next week, I expect to provide my final assessment on all past and present outstanding issues,' International Atomic Energy Agency head Yukiya Amano says
Syrian Network for Human Rights says 20,000 women have been killed in the Syrian conflict, wıth almost 95 percent of them by Assad regime
Regime offensive comes one day after Turkmen fighters retook control of Kizildag town
Russian planes have carried out at least 12 strikes in the area where Turkey downed their fighter jet