World Bulletin / News Desk
A strong explosion rocked the Libyan military intelligence offices inthe eastern city of Benghazi on Wednesday but caused no casualties, the latest of several violent incidents to shock the birthplace of last year's revolt.
The blast occurred early on Wednesday when attackers threw an explosive device at the building from a passing car, security sources in Benghazi said. The explosion was so strong that it also shattered windows in nearby buildings on Dubai boulevard.
Adil Othmane, an army spokesman in Tripoli, confirmed the incident and said it was under investigation. He attributed the attack to the absence of security guards.
It was the third time the building had been attacked this year. For many residents of Benghazi, where the revolt that toppled long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi began, the building symbolises the oppression they endured at the hands of his government.
"This building doesn't mean anything to me, it's just a dusty building ... Under Gaddafi, nobody could dare to get close to this building," 38-year-old Ibrahim Almosraty said, as he scrutinized the two-storey building's damaged facade.
Wednesday's blast was one of a number of attacks in Benghazi, where local groups have also staged protests demanding more powers for eastern Libya and objecting to what they say is the central authorities' neglect of the region.
The blast follows the killing on Sunday of Suleiman Bouzrida, a former military intelligence colonel who was shot in the head twice while walking to a mosque for early morning prayers, a security source said.
Bouzrida had a good reputation in the city because he joined the rebels in the early stages of the revolution and helped them gain control of the city, the source said.
Seven Iranian relief workers, official guests of the Libyan Red Crescent Association, were abducted on Tuesday in the heart of the city by an unknown armed group.
Last week, a hand grenade was thrown at the city's law courts, without causing casualties.
Police are struggling to identify suspects after the disparate attacks.
"This is a message to tell the world that Benghazi is not safe so that nobody comes here with projects ... or to sign contracts in Benghazi," said Emad Al-Khofaify, a jobless 30-year old. "Some people want Benghazi to pay the price for starting the revolution against Gaddafi."
Some Arab media had recently claimed that the bank had already been controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood and some of Libya's militant movements
The first H5N8 case in Germany was confirmed on Nov. 4 on a poultry farm in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Some 5,000 birds were infected by the disease, of which 1,880 died.
Filling Tirana's main street, they carried banners protesting against lack of jobs, tax rises and what would amount to a rise of electricity prices next year.
High-speed trains were halted, but there were no immediate reports of serious damage from the quake
Benhabyles said the migrants would be airlifted to the southern province of Tamanrasset before they are asked to cross the border back into Niger
Authorities in Tanzania have ordered the eviction of 40,000 Masai people so their ancestral home can be turned into a hunting ground for Dubai royals.
No new idea or remarkable proposal has come from the world powers’ group, the P5+1, yet during talks over Iran’s nuclear issue, says Iranian minister
Search for missing 4-month-old continues along river in North Sumatra province after parents lose lives
This is the first meeting is to be held between al-Subaihi and Corman since the appointment of the former as defense minister in the current Yemeni government.
Peshmerga spokesman Brigadier General Halgurd Hikmat confirmed that Turkish soldiers had started special forces training with peshmerga fighters in northern Iraq
Barhoum described the accusations leveled against the Qassam Brigades as "false", which – according to him – aim at defaming Hamas and its military wing.
Demonstrators also demanded the expulsion of armed militias from Sanaa, in reference to Shiite Houthi militants who have seized control of the capital in September.
The majority of the deaths, 785, were ISIL fighters according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The bodies of the men from the Albu Fahd tribe were discovered after the army launched a counter-offensive against the ISIL in a village on the eastern edge of Ramadi
His comments stepped up Moscow's war of words with the United States and the European Union in their worst diplomatic standoff since the Cold War ended.
Though murdered revolutionary folk hero Sankara's body was placed in an unmarked grave, it is believed to be buried in a cemetery in the capital Ouagadougou's Dagnoen neighbourhood.