World Bulletin / News Desk
The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in western Uganda has risen to 16 after two more people died of the disease, health officials said on Wednesday, but they are hopeful that the worst has passed.
Eighteen people are in an isolation ward at a hospital in Kibaale district, where the outbreak started, and teams of health workers are visiting villages to isolate people possibly infected and to advise others on preventive measures.
There is no specific treatment for Ebola, which is transmitted by close contact and body fluids such as saliva, vomit, faeces, sweat, semen and blood.
Health officials are hopeful there will be no repeat of the severity of the Ebola outbreak in Uganda in 2000, when 425 people were infected by the virus, more than half of whom died.
"It was sad we recorded two more deaths ... but we're also encouraged by the fact that we're not receiving many more new cases," Kibaale district health officer Dan Kyamanywa said. The latest deaths occurred late on Tuesday, he said.
Up to 176 people who are suspected to have had contact with Ebola victims are being monitored, but none have so far shown signs of the disease, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Rukia Nakamatte told Reuters.
Neighbouring Kenya said it was monitoring a suspected case of Ebola after a man was placed in isolation in Siaya district hospital, near the Ugandan border.
The country's director of public health and sanitation said it was unlikely to be a case of Ebola. However, the Kenyan speaker of parliament has asked the public health minister to deliver a statement on the matter.
Ugandan authorities said last week they had confirmed an outbreak of Ebola in Kibaale, about 170 km (100 miles) west of the capital Kampala, and near the Democratic Republic of Congo where the virus first emerged in 1976, taking its name from the Ebola River.
Authorities in the east African country have not yet identified the source of the outbreak, although KibaaleForest has a high concentration of monkeys and birds, which act as transmitters of the virus.
President Yoweri Museveni has advised people to avoid shaking hands, casual sex and do-it-yourself burials to reduce the chance of contracting the deadly haemorrhagic fever.
Kyamanywa said Ebola had been ruled out as the cause of death of two people, including a child, whoofficials said on Tuesday were suspected to have been infected with the virus.
Although there is no cure for the virus, doctors can treat opportunistic diseases and symptoms affecting patients including diarrhoea, vomiting and malaria, and some patients can survive.
The introduction of legislation announced to allow police power to seize passports of suspected fighters at the border travelling to Syria.
A poll for the Sun and the Times newspapers showed support for the pro-independence "Yes" campaign had risen to 47 percent
The Council aims to send 11 investigators, with a total budget of $1.18 million, to report back by March 2015.
NATO leaders will agree to pre-position equipment and supplies, such as fuel and ammunition, in eastern European countries with bases ready to receive the NATO rapid reaction force if needed
The choreographed staging of the interviews suggests that North Korea may be looking for a way to reopen a long-stalled dialogue with Washington
The meeting of the so-called "contact group", at which the rebels also said one of their key conditions would be for Kiev to immediately end its military offensive, ended without any details being announced
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) acknowledged the threat it faced from air attacks by unmanned U.S. drones, which require on-the-ground intelligence to guide them in
Equatorial Guinea's main opposition leader Severo Moto has been in exile in Spain for years and his Progressive Party of Equatorial Guinea remains banned
Ireland's contingent was due to be replaced by new Irish troops next month, but Ireland is to freeze the rotation
Zuma was due to meet Lesotho's Prime Minister Thomas Thabane to try to resolve a political crisis in the small mountain kingdom after an apparent coup
The swift end to the ISIL's encirclement of the Shi'ite Turkmen town of 15,000 came amid a push by Kurdish peshmerga, Shi'ite militias and Iraqi troops, after U.S. air strikes
The official Saudi Press Agency reported that the 17 were were sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging from 2-1/2 years to 26 years.
Berlin has announced it will send military supplies that will arm more than 4,000 Kurdish troops.
Mohammad Mohaqeq, one of Abdullah's vice presidential running mates, told Reuters the two sides could not agree on the powers of the chief executive, blaming the Ghani camp for hardening its position
Before his disappearance, activist and lawyer Mudar Hassan Khadur represented a rare but growing voice of public dissent among Alawites
The group was being held at a centre for illegal immigrants near the capital Skopje and that Macedonia plans to repatriate the immigrants to Greece.