World Bulletin / News Desk
Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan is stepping down as the U.N.-Arab League mediator in the 17-month-old Syria conflict at the end of the month, U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon said in a statement on Thursday.
"Mr. Annan has informed me, and the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States, Mr. Nabil Elaraby, of his intention not to renew his mandate when it expires on 31 August 2012," Ban said in a statement, adding that he and Elaraby were in discussions on appointing a successor to Annan.
"Kofi Annan deserves our profound admiration for the selfless way in which he has put his formidable skills and prestige to this most difficult and potentially thankless of assignments," Ban said.
Women and men currently must pray separately at Jerusalem's Western Wall under strict interpretation of Jewish law.
Presidency pardons more than 1,000 prisoners for Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday
Media reports it advised Saudi citizens to avoid travelling to Turkey ‘baseless’, embassy says
Israeli military terms its attack in Syria 'a retaliatory' move to allegedly stop rocket attacks from Syria
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ratifies transfer of two Red Sea islands to Saudi sovereignty
Opposition party leader says US efforts over Israeli-Palestinian peace processes will fail
More than 200,000 suspected cholera cases have been reported in Yemen
HRW accused UAE of running two secret detention facilities in Yemen
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres earlier this week had been adamant that Kuwait was best placed to lead efforts to defuse the crisis.
The 13-point list of demands includes closure of Al Jazeera television and downgrading Iran ties
"Iran... as always expresses its readiness to assist and cooperate with other countries to confront these criminals, who deal death and ignorantly spread hate," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghassemi said.
Members of Al-Nahyan family given 15-month suspended sentence, fined
5 police officers, 6 foreign nationals wounded when suicide bomber detonates bomb
Anwar Gargash, the UAE's state minister for foreign affairs, issued the warning more than two weeks into the oil-rich region's worst crisis in years.
State of emergency was initially declared following April’s deadly twin church attacks