World Bulletin / News Desk
A prosecutor overseeing the investigation into the Sledgehammer coup plot has withdrawn an earlier request to change the court hearing the case, instead asking the court to announce its verdict.
The 10th High Criminal Court in June accepted a request from Prosecutor Hüseyin Kaplan to change the court hearing the ongoing Balyoz (Sledgehammer) coup plan trial. The prosecutor complained that the court was “unable to continue with the trial” and asked it to forward the case file to the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office, which could determine the new court to hear the case.
The prosecutor had cited the inability of the İstanbul 10th High Criminal Court to continue trying suspects in the Sledgehammer case due to an absence of defense lawyers. The İstanbul Bar Association was criticized for attempting to influence the Sledgehammer trial after it declared that it would not appoint defense lawyers for cases being heard by specially authorized courts, including the Sledgehammer case. The association also claims that the case is aimed at suppressing opponents of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government.
Dozens of active duty and retired members of the military are standing trial for the Sledgehammer coup plot, an alleged systematic military plan to stir chaos by bombing mosques and attacking popular institutions with Molotov cocktails. The intended result of the plot was to increase pressure on the AK Party government for failing to provide security for its citizens. The attacks were aimed at causing a military coup.
Turkish premier Davutoglu condemns attacks on civilians amid peace talks
'No one should assume that just because Turkey is taking in all the refugees that it should be expected to shoulder the refugee issue alone,' Turkish PM warns
Turkish Prime Minister says Turkey and Germany are to work together for NATO involvement in curbing refugee flow
Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus has said Turkey did not have option to say 'no' to refugees fleeing from bombardments in Syria and Iraq
'We are not in a position to tell them not to come. If we do, we would be abandoning them to their deaths,' says deputy PM
'If they reached our door and have no other choice, if necessary, we have to and will let our brothers in,' President Erdogan says
Erdogan says western powers 'ignore' terrorist actions perpetrated by armed wing of PKK’s Syrian affiliate
Iraqi citizens will no longer be able to enter Turkey with a sticker visa, and instead will need to apply for an electronic or paper visa
'I find this Russian statement laughable... rather it is Russia that is currently engaged in an invasion of Syria,' Turkish president says
Plan includes 'comprehensive democratic reform', greater powers for local administrations and economic measures
Erdogan says Syrians will continue to flee country unless Russian and regime airstrikes cease
Leaders of governments, NGOs and members of civil society met in London on Thursday to raise funds for those affected by crisis in Syria
MPs from all parties meet to reform Turkey’s military-era constitution
‘We have to be shoulder to shoulder against those who are committing war crimes,’ PM Davutoglu says at Syria Donors Conference in London
Turkey recalled its ambassador in April last year, days away from the 100th anniversary of what the pope described as 'the first genocide of the 20th century'
'An agreement could not be reached on the itinerary for the reconnaissance flight requested by the Russian Federation for 2-5 February 2016,' foreign ministry says