World Bulletin / News Desk
Hundreds of thousands of people sheltering in squalid, overcrowded camps in India's northeast desperately need food, water and medicines after fleeingsome of the worst communal violence in a decade, officials and aid workers said on Monday.
At least 12 people, including four children, have died and thousands are sick with diseases such as diahorrea and malaria caused by poor conditions in government-run camps in Assam state, where up to 400,000 people have taken refuge.
"We are in a state of high alert," said Assam's Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma. "People in thecamps are suffering from diahorrea, dysentery, malaria and high fever. We are concerned about the condition of the babies and pregnant women."
Violence between Bodo tribespeople and Muslim settlers from neighbouring Bangladesh erupted on July 20 when unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - which dominate Assam's Kokrajhar district - attacked Muslims, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
The fighting has tested the ability of India's security forces to restore order in Assam, famed for its tea plantations and home to the constituency of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who visited the state inlate July to appeal for calm.
So far 61 people have died - some hacked to death with machetes, while dozens of villages have been razed to the ground, forcing both Bodos and Muslims to flee to schools and community centres which have been converted into relief camps.
Sarma said around 8,000 children under two-years-old are sick, while hundreds of others have tested positive for malaria. There are also around 4,000 pregnant women in the camps who need medical support, he added.
FEARFUL TO RETURN HOME
Aid workers described the camps as "suffocating" with livestock living alongside people, few toilets and little access to clean water. Many people sleep in the open and women have little privacy, forced to wait for dawn or dusk to find a place outside to defecate.
Authorities have been overwhelmed by the numbers of displaced -- camps designed to accommodate 400 people are brimming with five times that amount, said aid workers.
"The government is lost and they are somewhat overwhelmed by the number of people who are displaced. They came in hordes and while relief is being distributed, it is totally inadequate," saidMrinal Gohain, northeast manager for the charity ActionAid.
Authorities are encouraging some of the displaced to return home, saying that the situation is under control with police and army patrols, as well as a curfew in some areas.
But aid workers distributing relief in the camps say survivors are too scared to return, especially after reports that five more people were killed over the weekend.
"There is a serious safety issue. Despite what the government says, people are traumatised and fearful and unwilling to return," said Geeta Majumdar from the charity Catholic Relief Services.
"Given the conditions inside the camps and the lack of security and safety outside, we are extremely concerned. Health is a priority and we are worried about epidemics occurring with such unsanitary conditions in such cramped spaces."
The Cambodian government and opposition agreed to end a deadlock that followed disputed elections last July.
President Obama said the US will incorporate native American languages and cultures in school curriculums and social programs.
The Sewol's 15 surviving crew members, including the captain, are on trial on charges ranging from homicide to negligence
Prabowo has refused to concede defeat, demanding the result be delayed by two weeks to investigate allegations of mass cheating
Kabul airport is home to a major operational base for NATO-led forces that have been fighting the Taliban for 12 years
With the conflict entering its third week, the Palestinian death toll rose to almost 550, including nearly 100 children and many other civilians
Police had earlier ordered a dawn-to-dusk curfew in the troubled Lamu county.
The group called on Egyptians to withdraw their sons from the army and police, threatening further attacks on security sites nationwide.
Clashes erupted Monday between the military troops and Ansar al-Sharia militiamen in Bouatni district when the latter attacked an army base in the area.
Palestinian Ambassador in Cairo Jamal al-Choubaki said medical patients, foreign passport holders and Gazans injured by Israel's ongoing onslaught will be allowed to cross the border.
Russian Foreign Ministry condemned ongoing Israeli attacks on Gaza.
British PM Cameron questioned France's plan to sell Mistral helicopter carriers to Russia, saying fulfilling such an order would be unthinkable after the downing of the Malaysian Airlines plane
In relief agency feeding centres, mothers seeking medical help for skeletal children tell harrowing tales of life in the bush, where they could only scavenge for fruit or roots.
In its statement, the Palestinian Journalists Union asserted that Israel had carried out 37 intentional attacks on journalists and media institutions since July 7, when it began its onslaught on the blockaded Gaza Strip.
During the nine months ending June 30, more than 57,000 children were detained at the U.S.-Mexico border, most of them from Central America, and double last year's count
Video footage shows Israeli snipers shooting at civilians and aid workers in the Gaza Strip.