World Bulletin / News Desk
Former Chief of General Staff İlker Başbuğ on Monday offered his thanks to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for his remarks concerning Başbuğ's trial without imprisonment.
Başbuğ was placed behind bars earlier this year as part of a probe into propaganda websites allegedly established by the military to discredit the government.
Speaking on a TV program on Sunday, Erdoğan said Başbuğ should be tried without imprisonment, and that he has never believed the charges directed against Başbuğ. “I have never found the charges directed against İlker Pasha correct. I think claims that he is a member of a terrorist organization are very ugly,” said Erdoğan.
Başbuğ responded to Erdoğan's gesture with a written statement delivered through his lawyer, in which he said: “I thank Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for the sincere and truthful remarks he made about me. Our working together in line with our posts gave us the opportunity to know each other very well,” he said.
Addressing jurists, Erdogan blames problems in the judiciary to the terror FETO group's infiltration of the system
Turkey's geopolitical position necessitates multifaceted foreign policy, says presidential spokesman
According to columnist Muhamed Jusic, Turkey's ongoing efforts for Syria offer the best choice
Indictment seeks up to four years in prison for Selahattin Demirtas, co-chair of opposition Peoples' Democratic Party
Bekir Bozdag expects constitutional changes to be passed by lawmakers
Arrest warrants issued for 243 suspects allegedly linked to FETO terror network across 54 Turkish provinces
Police forces raid a house where PKK members reportedly plotting a terrorist attack
EU countries fail to relocate promised number of refugees, Greek Migration Ministry says
Turkish president used "terrorising economy" for those who intend to sabotage country's progress
Deputy Minister for EU Affairs Ali Sahin responds to Pakistani mother's plea to help find her missing son
Turkish prosecutors prepare an indictment requesting a 142-year prison sentence for the PKK-affiliated HDP leader Selahattin Demirtaş
Provincial governor says Abdulgadir Masharipov confesses to New Year's Eve attack on Reina venue
Turkish Prime Minister Binalı Yıldırım confirms that the gunman who killed at least 39 New Year's Eve revellers has been captured, and says more details will be released soon
Suspects held at a police station over the attack in Diyarbakir's Sur district that claimed four police officers' lives
Abdulgadir Masharipov was captured during a police operation on a residence in Istanbul's Esenyurt district
Deputy Prime Minister Kurtulmus dismisses talk of snap elections