World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday condemned comments by an Iranian official blaming Ankara for the bloodshed in Syria and warning Turkey it would be next, as unacceptable and inappropriate, and urged Iran to honour its ties as neighbours.
"It is unacceptable and irresponsible that Iranian officials in various posts continue to target our country through their statements, although Turkey's principled foreign policy is known to everyone," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
"Everyone knows who, inside and outside Syria, is responsible for the human tragedy, caused by the Syrian regime. They will be called to account by history and human conscience."
The statement came just ahead of an unscheduled visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi to Turkey on Tuesday.
The Foreign Office singled out the "baseless allegations and inappropriate threats" made by the Iranian chief of general staff Hassan Firouzabadi on the website of the Iran Revolutionary Guards.
Firouzabadi said Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey were responsible for the bloodshed and accused them of helping the "war-raging goals of America".
Salehi's talks are to focus on Syria and a group of Iranians seized by rebels there.
"Our minister will particularly raise these issues with Iranian foreign minister Mr. Salehi in their meeting today," the statement said, adding: "We call Iranian officials to stop baseless statements about our country and act in a way to honour our neighbour relations."
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.