World Bulletin / News Desk
The Philippines began a massive clean-up on Thursday after floods swept the capital and nearby provinces, forcing residents to wade through shoulder-deep waters in some places after nearly two weeks of monsoon rains killed 91 people.
Power, water and communications services were restored as floodwaters started to recede, allowing many to return home to fix their houses. Nearly 300,000 people remained in temporary shelters, disaster officials said.
"It's getting better in the capital region," Susana Cruz, regional head of the civil defence office, told reporters.
"We're still distributing food and potable water to the affected communities, but we're also helping local government units in their clean-up efforts."
Schools remained shut for the third day to house displaced families. Public and private offices reopened.
The monsoon rains, which dumped about 300 mm (12 inches), or three times the daily average, from late Monday to Tuesday, were the heaviest in three years, the weather bureau said, as a typhoon lashed east China where hundreds of thousands of people had been evacuated in advance.
The bureau has lifted rainfall alerts, forecasting light to intermittent showers for the next 12-24 hours. By mid-day, the sun was up for the first time in weeks.
President Benigno Aquino toured temporary shelter areas and helped distribute rations. He said shanty towns along river banks and coastal areas would be dismantled and relocated to safer ground.
Outside Manila, home to 12 million people, many of them living in slum conditions, wide areas of the rice-producing plains of the northern Luzon island remained under waist-to-neck-deep water, forcing residents to move around in canoes and on makeshift rafts.
Enterprising villagers were building small boats to make a living. "We'll have nothing to eat if I don't work," Eduardo Ortega said, as he transported people across flooded areas.
"We have run out of money, we have run out of food. We haven't received any relief goods."
Six provinces near Manila were placed under a state of calamity, including the key rice-growing provinces of Bataan, Bulacan and Pampanga.
The farm department estimates the damage so far to crops, mainly rice, at 167.9 million pesos ($4.02 million).
He said US forces have conducted more than 450 airstrikes since the beginning of the year with the latest attack being in Nangarhar province a key ISIL stronghold
Curfew lifted in much of Kashmir but communications still suspended, protests continue
Afghan army launches crackdown after ISIL claims suicide bombing that killed more than 80 in capital
Bangladesh police carry out raid on suspected Dhaka hideout after deadly cafe attack
More than 1,070 killed this year, but majority of missing and losses also due to storms wreaking havoc since June
Philippines president outlines injustice suffered by Muslim community during inaugural State of Nation address
As was the case during 2015 executions, policing tightened around Nusakambangan island and prison visits banned
Former employee of facility for disabled people reported to have turned himself in to police after attack
Nepali police arrest protesters involved in shutdown called as Nepali political crisis deepens
Cambodia responsible for days of deadlock, after it objected to Philippines' request for communique to include Hague ruling
Almost a third of Afghan casualties were children in worst violence since counting began in 2009
Businessmen close to Razak accused of channelling funds from state wealth fund to buy assets in US
At least 130 people dead, 110 missing in northern Hebei; residents say were not informed of threats or evacuated in time
Beijing’s foreign minister complains to his Seoul counterpart that their bilateral 'trust' has been ‘undermined’
Nepal PM resigns after key coalition partner withdraws following almost a year of political tension
Authorities say 34 Indonesian illegal immigrants rescued off southern Johor state, rescue operations ongoing