World Bulletin / News Desk
An Afghan police commander and several of his men killed three U.S. soldiers in the southern province of Helmand, Afghan officials said on Friday.
The men were all American special forces members and were killed on Thursday night while attending a meeting in the Sarwan Qala area, in what appeared to be a planned attack by Afghan forces.
"During dinner, the police commander and his colleagues shot them and then fled. The commander was Afghan National Police in charge of local police in Sangin," a senior Afghan official told Reuters on condition of anonymity. Sangin is a district.
"It looks like he had drawn up a plan to kill them previously," the official said.
A spokeswoman for NATO-led forces in the country confirmed the incident.
"All we know is that they were killed by an Afghan in a uniform of some sort," the spokeswoman said.
NATO combat soldiers prepare to hand over to Afghan forces by 2014, after which most foreign forces will leave the country.
According to NATO, there have been 24 such attacks on foreign troops since January in which 28 people have been killed, not including Thursday's attack. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
Another foreign soldier was killed in the south on Friday during an insurgent attack, NATO said, while seven civilians were killed and three were wounded by an insurgent roadside bomb, also in Helmand.
In a 24 hours for the NATO-led force, three U.S. soldiers and an American aid worker were killed earlier on Thursday in the eastern province of Kunar in an attack by a suicide bomber.
The attacks were claimed by Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, a movement that has changed its name to "Welayet Sinai" (the State of Sinai) in 2014 after it swore allegiance to the ISIS.
Three other Palestinians were detained in Israeli raids in Hebron and Aroub refugee camp in the south
Prime minister's speech may have been catalyst to hostage crisis, media suggests
The victim identified as Ahmed al-Naggar, he was 18 years old.
Peshmerga forces battling ISIL in Iraq reportedly take back the lost fields in southern Kirkuk and an oil well Saturday
Report: Japan trying to authenticate video that appears to show militant beheading journalist Kenji Goto.
Source close to Hamas says no longer accepts Egypt as Israel mediator
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Saturday that the country faces a long, hard battle against militancy, days after one of the bloodiest attacks on security forces in years.
Historic handwritten documents and archived texts burned as firefighters battled to save the library. 10 million books were saved.
Podemos was formed just a year ago by university professor Pablo Iglesias, but produced a major shock by winning five seats in elections for the European Parliament in May.
Hadi made his statement during a meeting with general secretaries of several Yemeni political parties.
The shelling created panic among residents with many presuming that Boko Haram was making attempts to storm into the city.
The passports of the 72 nationals were revoked after Bahrain's cabinet had approved the move to protect Bahrain's security and stability and fight "terrorist threats."
Last year "a degree of cooperation" allowed aid to enter after several months of being blocked, but access has again vanished with a deterioration of security
On Friday, the AU Peace and Security Council approved the deployment of 7,500 troops to Nigeria to fight Boko Haram