World Bulletin / News Desk
Leader of the Sept. 12, 1980 military coup and former President Kenan Evren has told his doctors to stop making efforts to improve his health and to allow him to him die, media reports said on Friday.
Evren, 94, is currently hospitalized at Ankara University's Faculty of Medicine. He reportedly told doctors: “Why are you wasting time on me? Let me die.”
Evren and retired Gen. Tahsin Şahinkaya, 86, were recently referred to hospitals to see whether there is any medical obstacle that would prevent them from attending the hearings of the coup trial, which began in April.
Evren and Şahinkaya are standing trial on charges of perpetrating a military coup in the Sept. 12 coup case but have not attended the hearings due to health complaints.
The Sept. 12, 1980 military coup was the bloodiest and most wide-reaching in the history of Turkey. A total of 650,000 people were detained and police kept files on 1,683,000 individuals. A total of 230,000 people were tried in 210,000 cases during the coup period, mostly for political reasons. A further 517 were sentenced to death out of 7,000 people who faced charges that carried a possible death sentence. Of those who received the death penalty, 50 were executed. Another 299 people died while in police custody as a result of unsanitary living conditions and torture.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.