World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish armed forces have ended an almost three-week operation against PKK militants in the southeast region of Semdinli, bordering Iran and Iraq, and have killed "a large number" of militants, the local governor said in a statement on Saturday.
Turkish jets have bombarded outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) positions around the mountainous region in one of most intense bouts of fighting in recent years in a decades-long conflict which has killed 40,000 people.
"The aerial-supported operations launched by our security forces on July 23, 2012 ... were completed on Aug. 11, 2012 morning," said the governor's office of Hakkari, the province where Semdinli is located.
"As a result of the operations, conducted with determination and rigour, the terrorist organisation PKK was unable to reach its cruel goals and a large number of its members have been rendered ineffective," it said in a statement, employing a euphemism commonly used by officials to mean killed.
Erdogan said on Aug. 7 that 115 PKK militants had been killed in Semdinli. The fighting began after the PKK set up checkpoints and tried to establish a stronghold there.
The militants have fought for autonomy for Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast since 1984. Turkey, the United States and the European Union list the PKK as a terrorist organisation.
Murat Karayilan, the acting PKK leader, said last week the group was changing tactics with its battle in Semdinli, according to Firat News, a website close to the militants.
Instead of their traditional hit-and-run ambushes on Turkish security forces, PKK militants would remain positioned in Semdinli in an attempt to form a stronghold there, he said.
Suspected PKK militants ambushed a Turkish military bus in western Turkey on Thursday in an attack that killed one soldier and wounded at least 11 people. Turkish media reported a man was arrested on Saturday in connection with the attack.
Increased PKK violence is a headache for Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan as he seeks to limit the impact at home of the conflict in Syria, where the PKK exerts growing authority in Kurdish areas and is receiving arms from Syrian forces, Ankara has said.
Following end of third round in Ankara, fourth round will be held in Islamabad in August
Turkey asks Germany to extradite Gulenist prosecutors
Upward trend reflects Turkish people's trust in economy was undamaged by July 15 coup attempt, according to analysts
Interior minister says bulk in pre-trial custody are military members, as well as judges, prosecutors, police
Number of civil servants suspended for alleged links to FETO coup attempt rises to 51,332
Turkish delegation to NATO Parliamentary Assembly says people are in 'historic' solidarity against failed coup
TANAP's 17.6 kilometer long sub-sea section out of the total 1,850 kilometer pipeline will pass through Canakkale strait
Two top ranking Turkish generals resign ahead of key military meeting: report
PKK terrorists detonate device in Siirt as armored military vehicle passed by
Former second army commander Adem Huduti enters into Turkish Land Forces' service
Ban ki-moon conveys solidarity with Turkey; expects adherence to international obligations in probe of coup attempt
Total of 8,651 military personnel took party in attempted coup, or just 1.5 pct, announces Turkish General Staff
Civilians who rose up against plot meet prime minister in Ankara
Lawmakers will investigate facts surrounding July 15 coup attempt
The paper's ex-staffers are suspected of links to FETO terror organization, accused of plotting July 15 coup attempt
Justice minister says Fetullah Gulen is planning to flee US following extradition request