World Bulletin / News Desk
An Israeli soldier who killed two Palestinian women who waved a white flag during massive Gaza offensive will be jailed only for 45 days after reaching a plea bargain with the military advocate general.
The soldier, Staff Sgt. S', from Givati Brigade will be convicted of a relatively light offense - illegal use of weapons, an Israeli paper said.
The soldier was originally accused of killing a woman and daughter whose names were mentioned in the UN Goldstone Report. Ria Abu Hajaj, 64, and her daughter Majda, 37, were killed as they were waving a white flag on the first day of the Israel's ground operation in Gaza, on January 4, 2009.
S' has long since completed his army service. His attorneys claimed that there was no proven connection between his shooting and the death of the two women, and that the two events occurred in different times. They further argued that indicting a soldier for the killing of an anonymous victim, when no body was found, is questionable, and that many other soldiers also opened fire in the said event.
An army spokesperson verified the details this morning, and added that, following an arbitration process in the case and "after examining all the evidence and circumstances, and following the military court's recommendation, both sides reached a plea bargain that would see the indictment corrected to illegal use of weapons."
The Goldstone Report is a 575-page report that accused Israeli forces of war crimes during their conflict in Gaza in the winter of 2008-2009 that killed up to 1500 Palestinians.
‘Wanted’ Palestinians rounded up overnight in East Jerusalem, Hebron, Ramallah, Jenin, according to local NGO
Move comes hours after suicide attack in provisional capital Aden leaves 60 dead and scores injured
Hundreds of security personnel have been killed in Sinai since 2013 coup against Egypt’s first democratically elected president
Since July 1, Israel has pressed on with plans for over 1,000 housing units in occupied east Jerusalem and 735 units in the West Bank
Hamas plans to back ‘technocrat’ candidates and prominent tribal figures in local polls slated for October
Saudi-Yemeni border sees rising clashes between Saudi troops, Houthi militants
Disaster and Emergency Management Authority says tents to accommodate 1,000 people have so far been set up in the city
Death toll from the attack feared to rise, which also injured scores
Elmar Brok said: "The PYD in Syria shouldn't use the fight against ISIL as an excuse to take hold of Arab regions. They have no business there."
Rocket attack on tanks also wounds 3 other troops, military official says
US secretary of state says he agreed plan to resume peace talks in Yemen with a view to forming unity government