World Bulletin / News Desk
A Somali man who acted as a ransom negotiator for pirates who seized an American yacht last year and killed four American hostages was sentenced on Monday by a U.S. federal judge to serve 12 life sentences.
Mohammad Shibin was convicted in April on 15 charges including piracy, hostage taking, kidnapping and conspiracy. He was paid $30,000 to $50,000 in cash for his negotiating services, according to a federal indictment.
In a courtroom in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S. District Judge Robert Doumar sentenced Shibin to serve 10 concurrent life sentences, two consecutive life sentences and two 20-year sentences and ordered him to pay $5.4 million in restitution.
Pirates commandeered an American yacht carrying Jean and Scott Adam of California and Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle from Seattle in February 2011 off the coast of Somalia. All four hostages were killed despite attempts by the U.S. military to negotiate their release.
Prosecutors said Shibin was among an elite group whose skills were needed to negotiate ransoms.
According to evidence presented at trial, Shibin researched the background of the hostages over the Internet to determine how much ransom to demand and to find family members to contact for the payments, prosecutors said.
Shibin also served as a ransom negotiator for pirates who seized the M/V Marida Marguerite in 2010. The German-owned vessel had a crew of 22 men who were held hostage for seven months starting inMay 2010 and reported being tortured.
In 2011 Somali piracy cost the world economy $7 billion and earned the pirates some $160 million inransoms, according to a recent report by the International Maritime Bureau.
"(Shibin's) multiple life sentences should put all pirates on notice that the Justice Department will hold you accountable in a U.S. courtroom for crimes on the high seas," MacBride said.
AU and Khartoum enjoy good relations as African leaders have supported Sudan's president in his battle against ICC
TRNC foreign minister says intensity fuelling discussions has not been seen since the 2004 'Annan plan'
Journalist allegedly demanded$3.4 mn not to publish the book, which reportedly contains damaging revelations about Mohammed VI
Death toll from grim discovery more than double than initial estimate
UN says migrant flow increased by a third since 2014
Dozens of Jewish settlers overnight took over a large, five-story building in Silwan, and tried to force a Palestinian family who resides in it and holds a legal rental contract, to leave.
Austrian newspaper Krone has said that three people have been arrested over the truck tragedy that saw 90 refugees found dead in a lorry.
As Ukraine readies itself for entry into the EU, leaders have backed less restricted travel for Ukraine amid migration crisis in Europe
With porous borders and disease outbreaks inside and around Uganda, authorities are using Twitter to speed up response times
German Justice Ministry, Facebook will discuss protection of people against abuse, hate speech and bullying
Horrible discovery of dead migrants is a warning to Europe to get to grips with the migrant crisis, says Merkel
German Chancellor says EU must help Balkan countries to deal with migrant influx
Final report into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over war-torn eastern Ukraine last year will be released in October 13
Painful talks between Ukraine, IMF and US lasting for five months end with a restructuring agreement reached
Despite agreement being signed it still must be implemented on the ground