World Bulletin / News Desk
Rescue workers recovered more bodies three days after two powerful earthquakes struck northwest Iran, leaving more than 300 dead, but officials played down reports the number of casualties could still sharply increase.
The quakes, with magnitudes of 6.4 and 6.3, struck East Azerbaijan province on Saturday afternoon, flattening villages and injuring thousands of people around the towns of Ahar, Varzaghan, and Harees, near the provincial capital Tabriz.
A search team using sniffer dogs pulled out the body of a young woman in the village of Sorkhgav and were close to finding others, Fars new agency reported.
Another report, by Iran's Labour news agency, spoke of hundreds of villages having suffered severe damage, raising fears the number of dead could mount sharply as rescuers arrive in previously inaccessible areas.
But officials dismissed the estimates of a significant rise in fatalities, saying the eventual figure may be lower than already given.
"Many figures are based on speculation and have not been documented," provincial coroner Behram Samadi Rad said. "We cannot give a precise figure of the number of dead but we believe it will be under 300."
In Tehran, Karaj and Qom, thousands visited centres late into the night to donate blood, Press TV reported, including Iran's Olympic gold medal-winning weightlifter, Behdad Salimi.
"I truly feel terrible for the people of East Azerbaijan. I want to do what I can to help them. The most important thing is to donate blood because of the shortage," he said.
State television has showed extensive footage of air drops and an officials handing out food rations and tents, following severe criticism the media ignored the national disaster and continued to broadcast normal schedules.
After visiting the afflicted area on Monday, Vice-President Mohammad Reza Rahimi announced emergency funds for the relief effort and appeared to indicate the government had not reacted quickly enough.
"In these conditions, any criticism the people have of us is acceptable and we must all work as hard aspossible for their sake," Mehr news reported him as saying.
Iran's government faced criticism over its response to two earthquakes. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's trip to Saudi Arabia exposed him to barbs that he was not showing empathy with the disaster victims.
Meanwhile, more than 20 minor aftershocks added to torment of many who had lost their homes - some their loved ones - and were living in makeshift camps.
A new oil contract will replace a buy back programme and new joint ventures with international companies once the sanctions are lifted next year
At least five Russian airstrikes have targeted humanitarian aid trucks coming from Turkey to aid Syrian refugees in the past two days
Turkmen factions have launched a ground offiensive and have made noticable advances against Assad regime forces
Israeli Foreign Ministry director visits United Arab Emirates' capital Adu Dhabi to finalize opening of mission
Five people are killed when Russian warplanes strike targets in opposition-held area of Syria's northwestern Idlib province
At least 180,879 civilians have been killed by the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria since March 2011, Syrian Network for Human Rights says
Saudi Arabia has long been deeply suspicious of Hezbollah, a close ally of its regional rival Iran
Thousands of Turkmen reportedly displaced by ongoing assaults by regime and Russian warplanes in Syria's predominantly-Turkmen Bayirbucak region
A dozen people killed in separate bombings and shooting attacks across war-torn Iraq, local sources report
'Next week, I expect to provide my final assessment on all past and present outstanding issues,' International Atomic Energy Agency head Yukiya Amano says
Syrian Network for Human Rights says 20,000 women have been killed in the Syrian conflict, wıth almost 95 percent of them by Assad regime
Regime offensive comes one day after Turkmen fighters retook control of Kizildag town
Russian planes have carried out at least 12 strikes in the area where Turkey downed their fighter jet
The second pilot who ejected from the fighter jet shot by Turkish forces has been picked up by the Syrian army
Sources report that first pilot was killed by opposition forces who shot at him as he landed after ejecting from the plane
Turkish reports say incident happened in border area between Turkey's southern Hatay province and an area in northwest Syria populated by the Turkic-speaking Turkmen minority