World Bulletin / News Desk
There are serious legal and practical obstacles to setting up a bufferzone or a no-fly zone in Syria, Turkish newspapers on Wednesday quoted the U.S. ambassador toAnkara as saying, after the two countries discussed the issue at the weekend.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Saturday the United States and Turkey were looking at all measures to help Syrian rebel forces fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad, including a no-fly zone.
A NATO-led no-fly zone and bombing campaign helped Libyan rebels overthrow Muammar Gaddafi last year. But the United States and its European allies have been reluctant to take an overt military role inSyria's 17-month-old conflict.
U.S. Ambassador Francis Ricciardone said in a briefing with local newspapers that issues such as setting up a no-fly zone or a buffer zone in Syria were easy to discuss but hard to realise.
"Of course we should evaluate these issues. However, our discussions of these issues with Turkeyshould not suggest we are making commitments to set up these zones," Ricciardone was reported as saying by the daily Taraf.
"There are serious legal and practical obstacles on this issue," he was quoted as saying. An official transcript of his comments, which were published by several papers in Turkish, was not immediately available.
"We will work on the subjects of a transition phase and buffer zone within the U.N. Security Council in line with international law," he was reported as saying.
Clinton had told reporters after talks with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Saturday that their countries needed to get into detailed operational planning on how to assist the rebels and bring a halt to the violence.
Asked if discussions included options such as imposing a no-fly zone over territory that Syrian rebels claim to control, Clinton indicated that was a possible option.
The rebels are believed to be getting weapons from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but only non-lethal assistance from the United States.
Saudi Arabia has arrested 93 people suspected of belonging to the ISIL including at least 65 Saudi nationals, the interior ministry said in a statement carried on the official Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.
Syria's defence minister has started an official visit to Iran, Lebanon's al-Manar television said on Tuesday.
The committee, in a press conference on Monday, declared the provinces of Aden, Taizz and Ad Dali as disaster zones, and said that around nine million Yemenis are in need for urgent humanitarian aid.
Anti-Assad fighters claim to control over 60 percent of northern city.
Explosions could be heard up to 2 hours after the strikes, with food and medical supplies runninglow
Khaled Koutineh’s wife insists the accident was caused by the bad weather at the time and he has no interest in politics.
With the Saudi alliance hitting Yemeni targets, Iranian commander of the Revolutionary guard has hit out Saudi Arabia accusing them of following in the steps of Israel
According to Al Jazeera, Saudi Prince Fahad Al Saud hopes a new generation of games will end negative portrayals of Arab communities.
The United Arab Emirates is one of several Arab states participating in the Saudi coalition in Yemen.
The strike was called for by the High Follow-Up Committee for Arab citizens of Israel, which represents the interests of Palestinians in the self-proclaimed Jewish state.
The Israeli army allege that the detained Palestinians were suspects in terror attacks on Israel
Syrian state media said the army had inflicted heavy casualties on rebels in the area and launched air strikes, but did not say the base had fallen.
Zarif and Kerry will meet to discuss negotiations on a landmark nuclear deal with the United States and five other global powers as they try to secure a final agreement with Iran by a June 30 deadline.
The troops arrived to protect the southern border of Saudi Arabia against any potential threats side by side with other Saudi army troops
Former president sentenced to 20 years in jail after biased trial, says Human Rights Watch
On Friday, Antiquities Minister Mamdouh al-Damati said that over the past ten months, his country had recovered a total of 221 artifacts that had been previously smuggled to the US, Australia, Germany and Denmark.