World Bulletin / News Desk
Two people were killed and more than 60 wounded in clashes between Sunni Muslims and Alawites in Lebanon's northern city of Tripoli in another spillover from the war in neighbouring Syria, security and medical sources said on Tuesday.
Gunmen in the Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and their Alawite rivals in Jebel Mohsen exchanged gun and grenade fire in sporadic fighting overnight and into the day, despite action by Lebanese army troops deployed in the port city, residents said.
One of the dead men was identified by residents as Ahmed al-Farfour from Jebel Mohsen, a hill inhabited mainly by Alawites and which overlooks the predominantly Sunni area below. The other man was from the Hejjar family in Bab al-Tabbaneh.
An army statement said soldiers raided buildings used by gunmen and "retaliated swiftly against sources of gunfire". It said five soldiers were wounded on Monday evening and another five, including an officer, were hurt on Tuesday by a hand grenade lobbed at an army base.
Aside from the army casualties, about 35 civilians or fighters were wounded in Bab al-Tabbaneh and 15 in Jebel Mohsen, residents and medics said.
Chronic Sunni-Alawite tensions in Tripoli have been heightened by the 17-month-old, mainly Sunni, uprising in Syria against President Bashar al-Assad, an Alawite. Clashes in the city killed 15 people in early June.
A study released last month found that worldwide arms trade had risen to its highest level since the Cold War in the last five years.
Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in 2013 military coup
Opposition talks team raise humanitarian issues with Russian foreign ministry
Four other Saudis who also had "criminal records and have taken part in terror acts" were arrested following the clash on Tuesday morning, the ministry said in a statement carried by state news agency SPA.
War-torn Yemen has so far received only small fraction of $2.1 billion requested by UN, humanitarian official says
Residents of Zabadani and Madaya, two towns near Damascus under siege by government forces, will leave their homes in return for the evacuation of Fuaa and Kafraya, two mainly Shiite towns in the northwest besieged by the rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Two missiles hit a vehicle on the outskirts of the town of Mudiyah in Abyan province, killing all four people inside, the official said.
Appeal comes as Arab leaders prepare for this week's Arab League summit in Jordan
A senior Syrian government official warned on Sunday that the Tabqa Dam had already been damaged by US led air strikes
No damage reported in attack carried out by Houthi rebels in Yemen
Antonio Guterres is also expected to attend one-day Arab summit during his visit to Jordan
Local authorities blame deadly attack -- which also left three attackers dead -- on Al-Qaeda
- More than 1M patients have had operations, and 200,000 Syrian babies born in Turkey since 2011, says Veysi Kaynak
The funds will go towards seven Interpol projects including counter-terrorism, cybercrime and drugs, an official statement said.
Conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Libya are expected to figure high during Arab summit
Coordinator of International Rabia Platform says Egypt's elected president Morsi is in jail, while a 'dictator' is free