World Bulletin / News Desk
The Syrian government said on Tuesday military intervention in Syria was "impossible" because it would lead to a confrontation beyond the country's borders.
Deputy Syrian Prime Minister Qadri Jamil, speaking at a news conference in Moscow, appeared to be responding to President Barack Obama's threat that U.S. forces could act if Syria deployed chemical weapons against rebels.
Jamil said the West was looking for an excuse for military intervention, likening the focus on Syria's chemical weapons with Western policy towards Iraq, invaded by U.S.-led forces on the grounds it was concealing weapons of mass destruction.
"The West is looking for an excuse for direct intervention. If this excuse does not work, it will look for another excuse. But it does not understand a new fact, confirmed in the international situation after the Russian-Chinese veto which has continued until this moment," he said.
He was referring to China and Russia's veto of Security Council action that would have added to international pressure on President Bashar al-Assad, who is fighting to put down a 17-month old uprising against his rule.
"Direct military intervention in Syria is impossible because whoever thinks about it ... is heading towards a confrontation wider than Syria's borders," he said. "Regarding Obama's threats, they are media threats to be used in the media campaign in readiness for the coming elections."
The Cambodian government and opposition agreed to end a deadlock that followed disputed elections last July.
President Obama said the US will incorporate native American languages and cultures in school curriculums and social programs.
The Sewol's 15 surviving crew members, including the captain, are on trial on charges ranging from homicide to negligence
Prabowo has refused to concede defeat, demanding the result be delayed by two weeks to investigate allegations of mass cheating
Kabul airport is home to a major operational base for NATO-led forces that have been fighting the Taliban for 12 years
With the conflict entering its third week, the Palestinian death toll rose to almost 550, including nearly 100 children and many other civilians
Police had earlier ordered a dawn-to-dusk curfew in the troubled Lamu county.
The group called on Egyptians to withdraw their sons from the army and police, threatening further attacks on security sites nationwide.
Clashes erupted Monday between the military troops and Ansar al-Sharia militiamen in Bouatni district when the latter attacked an army base in the area.
Palestinian Ambassador in Cairo Jamal al-Choubaki said medical patients, foreign passport holders and Gazans injured by Israel's ongoing onslaught will be allowed to cross the border.
Russian Foreign Ministry condemned ongoing Israeli attacks on Gaza.
British PM Cameron questioned France's plan to sell Mistral helicopter carriers to Russia, saying fulfilling such an order would be unthinkable after the downing of the Malaysian Airlines plane
In relief agency feeding centres, mothers seeking medical help for skeletal children tell harrowing tales of life in the bush, where they could only scavenge for fruit or roots.
In its statement, the Palestinian Journalists Union asserted that Israel had carried out 37 intentional attacks on journalists and media institutions since July 7, when it began its onslaught on the blockaded Gaza Strip.
During the nine months ending June 30, more than 57,000 children were detained at the U.S.-Mexico border, most of them from Central America, and double last year's count
Video footage shows Israeli snipers shooting at civilians and aid workers in the Gaza Strip.