World Bulletin / News Desk
Seven people have been killed in Lebanon's northern city of Tripoli as clashes between Sunni Muslims and Alawites, fuelled by tensions over the war in Syria, continued for a second night, security and medical sources said on Tuesday.
Around 100 people have also been wounded since the fighting erupted on Monday evening, they said.
Gunmen in the Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and their Alawite rivals in Jebel Mohsen have exchanged gun and grenade fire, despite action by Lebanese troops deployed in the port city, residents said.
Two of the dead men were identified as residents of Jebel Mohsen, a hill inhabited mainly by Alawites which overlooks the predominantly Sunni area below, where five people were killed, medical sources said.
The area is one of Lebanon's most volatile sectarian fault lines and chronic Sunni-Alawite tensions in Tripoli have been heightened by the 17-month-old, mainly Sunni, uprising in Syria against President Bashar al-Assad, an Alawite. Clashes in the city killed 15 people in early June.
An army statement said soldiers had raided buildings used by gunmen and "retaliated swiftly against sources of gunfire". It said five soldiers were wounded on Monday evening and five, including an officer, were injured on Tuesday by a hand grenade lobbed at an army base.
In addition, dozens of civilians and fighters were wounded in Bab al-Tabbaneh and in Jebel Mohsen, residents and medics said.
Foreign Ministry urges Israel not to change status quo of Al-Aqsa complex so it is accessible to all Muslims
President of the World Association of Muslim Scholars Yusuf al-Qaradavi stated that Jerusalem deals with not only the Palestinians but the entire Islamic ummah.
At least 5 Hezbollah, 17 opposition fighters reported killed
Israel criticized for ‘disproportionate’ force against Palestinians
12 militants’ vehicles destroyed, including four rigged with bombs
Israeli settlers killed in alleged stabbing attack in occupied West Bank, amid backdrop of Al-Aqsa turmoil
Qatari emir thanks Turkey for its support during crisis, says the plot against his country was pre-planned
Security measures by Israel trigger protests, with 3 Palestinians killed and nearly 400 injured
Sergey Lavrov says 'main parameters' on southern zone already agreed
UN spokesman says 1,140 children have been killed since 2015
The attack on Tuesday in the Mawza district of the southwestern province of Taez killed at least 20 people, including four children, according to residents.
Ayman Safadi urges international community to help ease tense situation
Kuwait also ordered the closure of the Iranian "military, cultural and trade" missions, said the government official, who asked not to be named.
Viral videos show Saudi prince physically and verbally assaulting at least 4 residents in capital Riyadh
Last week, Iraq formally declared victory over ISIL in Mosul