World Bulletin / News Desk
Businessman Asil Nadir was jailed for 10 years on Thursday for stealing millions from his British business empire, ending a 22-year case.
The 71-year-old Turkish Cypriot was convicted of stealing 29 million pounds ($45.83 million) from Polly Peck, an ailing textiles company which he transformed into one of the most successful British firms of the 1980s.
The company collapsed in 1990 when British officials began a fraud investigation. Nadir was arrested but after being released on bail fled the country in a private plane to live in northern Cyprus, where he was beyond the reach of British law.
Driven by a burning sense of injustice, Nadir returned to London in 2010 to clear his name after 17 years on the run.
But his hope failed when a jury at the Old Bailey court found him guilty of 10 out of 13 charges of theft.
"The company's money was not your money. You knew that. You nonetheless helped yourself to it. You committed theft on a grand scale," judge Tim Holroyde told Nadir, according to the Press Association.
"My husband is innocent," his wife said outside court, her voice cracking with emotion. "We will continue with our efforts to rectify the wrongs," his wife Nur, 28, said.
Nadir admitted taking money from Polly Peck, but said he always balanced the books by paying money into other parts of the business.
Nadir must serve half of the 10-year term before being considered for parole.
After being sentenced, Nadir turned to wife, smiled and said goodbye. ($1 = 0.6328 British pounds)
Forces affiliate with Libyan unity government overrun Ben Jawad and Nofiliya as they thrust westwards along the Mediterranean coast
In its annual report, the EU's anti-fraud agency OLAF said it had detected an estimated €888 million in EU funds that were lost to fraudulent claims in 2015
The fight against ISIL, 'which is the number one enemy, must be a Libyan fight and a united fight,' Martin Kobler says
Disruptions in country's transport services are expected as start of Euro 2016 football tournament approaches
In the past week alone, at least 880 people have died in a series of shipwrecks, the United Nations refugee agency says
'The project demonstrates the desire of French companies to contribute to the petroleum sector, the backbone of the Libyan economy,' French foreign ministry says
'I want to tell you that nothing is forgotten, no one is forgotten, and no one is forgiven,' Nadiya Savchenko asserts
'A human catastrophe is unfolding in Fallujah. Families are caught in the crossfire with no safe way out,' an aid group says
The Republic of Dagestan set on the Caspian Sea between the staggering Greater Caucasus mountains is a wonderland of ethnic and cultural diversity
Although not identified, the photograph that has emerged of a drowned baby that was pulled out from the Mediterranean may force European leaders to take further action and provide safe routes for refugees.
Victims’ relatives to file human rights case according to local media
Recent showdown between NATO and Russia is believed to be a possible solution for the Nagorno-Karabakh question in Azerbaijan
No working group can tackle question between Turkey and Russia unless Turkey takes step first, Kremlin spokesman says
Mohamad Taher Siala, a foreign ministry employee for three decades, 'officially took up his post' at the ministry building
As it is announced the number of the Chechen refugees living in Germany it is increased.
'Following last week's closure of the Idomeni refugee camp, the number of refugees trying to cross Hungary's barrier has increased,' Hungarian PM's chief adviser says