World Bulletin / News Desk
PKK militants attacked two army posts in southeast Turkey on Thursday, killing at least one soldier, officials said, hours after Ankara said it had killed 16 militants in the area following a raid on a military convoy.
The clashes underscore a growing cycle of violence in the remote, mountainous province of Hakkari bordering Iraq and Iran - a development which Turkish officials and analysts are linking to the conflict in nearby Syria.
Security officials told Reuters militants from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) had launched simultaneous raids on two military posts in Hakkari's Semdinli district, the scene of a wave of recent clashes between militants and government forces.
At least one soldier had been killed in the attacks, which were still continuing, the officials said, without giving further details.
The attacks came only hours after government officials said Turkish troops had killed 16 PKK militants in an offensive targeting militants who killed five soldiers and wounded seven on Wednesday in a bomb attack on their convoy in Semdinli.
Officials said the army had sent in troop reinforcements and helicopter gunships after Wednesday's attack.
In a sign of Ankara's concern over the violence in the mainly Kurdish region, the commander of the military's land forces arrived in Hakkari on Thursday. General Hayri Kivrikoglu said the army's operations would continue "without pause".
"We always stand by our people. Our people should not worry. The Turkish armed forces will continue in its duty to protect the security of the people and the region," Kivrikoglu was quoted as saying on state media Anatolian's website.
It was not immediately clear whether Kivrikoglu was still in Hakkari when the militants launched their latest attacks.
More than 40,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
The conflict is focused in the mountainous region bordering Iraq and Iran, but the PKK has also carried out attacks in Turkish cities. Officials blamed it for a car bombing on Monday which killed nine people in the city of Gaziantep, near Turkey's southeastern border with Syria.
The PKK, listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the United States and the European Union, has denied involvement in that attack.
Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has accused Syrian President Bashar al-Assad of backing PKK militants and has warned of military intervention in Syria if the group uses Syrian territory to threaten Turkey.
Erdogan said the sight of American flags in the convoy alongside YPG insignia had "seriously saddened" Turkey.
Massive landslide due to heavy rain in Osh, Kyrgyzstan results in loss of 24 lives
Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he will bring up issue of US support for terrorist PYD/YPD when visiting Donald Trump next month
In his May 1 message, Turkey's president also warns against any provocations during celebrations of the holiday
Also 3,974 public employees dismissed over suspected FETO-links, according to a notice in the Official Gazette
Turkey's president expected to meet his counterpart Mukherjee, Deputy President Ansari, PM Modi during his two-day visit
Patrols aim to 'discourage escalation', US Central Command says
Turkish president says country's ongoing anti-terror fight against PKK, FETO and ISIL is a battle for survival
More than 71,000 officers from police, gendarmerie and coast guard involved in massive late night public security operation
Opinion piece penned by presidential aide in UK newspaper says Yes vote ended era of weak coalition governments
Turkey's Justice and Development Party will hold meeting to renew president's membership
Turkish president calls for 'common sense' in Macedonia
Neither European Court of Human Rights nor Constitutional Court can change decision of the people, says Yildirim