World Bulletin / News Desk
At least three people including an Sunni commander were killed on Friday in a fifth day of sporadic sectarian fighting in Lebanon's northern city of Tripoli triggered by the conflict in neighbouring Syria.
A Lebanese security source said the situation in Tripoli, where clashes between Sunni Muslims and Alawites have killed 16 people since Monday, was "alarming and dangerous .. It is very likely that it will escalate this time".
Security sources said Sheikh Khaled al-Baradei, 28, a Sunni, was shot fatally in the neck by a sniper in the early hours on Friday, and two other identified men were killed.
The first security source said at least seven Alawite-owned shops in mainly Sunni districts had been torched. He said 41 people were wounded, including soldiers.
The Lebanese army deployed troops and tanks on the streets on Thursday morning to calm the streets and clashes appeared to die down in most areas before flaring again overnight.
Sunni Muslims in Syria form the backbone of the 17-month-old uprising against President Bashar al-Assad, part of the Alawite minority who are an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam. Tripoli's fighting has been along the same sectarian lines.
Gunmen from Tripoli's Alawite-populated Jabal Mohsen district have engaged in on-off skirmishes over the past week with Sunni fighters in the Bab al-Tabbaneh area.
The Lebanese government has distanced itself from the unrest in Syria for fear it might spill over because Lebanon's sectarian divisions are similar and Syria has powerful allies as well as enemies in its smaller neighbour.
Residents say political leaders in Tripoli agreed a ceasefire on Wednesday but sniping by both sides has continued.
Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in 2013 military coup
Opposition talks team raise humanitarian issues with Russian foreign ministry
Four other Saudis who also had "criminal records and have taken part in terror acts" were arrested following the clash on Tuesday morning, the ministry said in a statement carried by state news agency SPA.
War-torn Yemen has so far received only small fraction of $2.1 billion requested by UN, humanitarian official says
Residents of Zabadani and Madaya, two towns near Damascus under siege by government forces, will leave their homes in return for the evacuation of Fuaa and Kafraya, two mainly Shiite towns in the northwest besieged by the rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Two missiles hit a vehicle on the outskirts of the town of Mudiyah in Abyan province, killing all four people inside, the official said.
Appeal comes as Arab leaders prepare for this week's Arab League summit in Jordan
A senior Syrian government official warned on Sunday that the Tabqa Dam had already been damaged by US led air strikes
No damage reported in attack carried out by Houthi rebels in Yemen
Antonio Guterres is also expected to attend one-day Arab summit during his visit to Jordan
Local authorities blame deadly attack -- which also left three attackers dead -- on Al-Qaeda
- More than 1M patients have had operations, and 200,000 Syrian babies born in Turkey since 2011, says Veysi Kaynak
The funds will go towards seven Interpol projects including counter-terrorism, cybercrime and drugs, an official statement said.
Conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Libya are expected to figure high during Arab summit
Coordinator of International Rabia Platform says Egypt's elected president Morsi is in jail, while a 'dictator' is free
Population of northern Syrian city recovers to 80,000 after terror group was cleared in mid-February