World Bulletin / News Desk
Nigeria's government is reaching out to Boko Haram, talking with some of its members via "back room channels" as it seeks a peaceful way out of the north's conflict, the president's spokesman said on Sunday.
Reuben Abati, spokesman for President Goodluck Jonathan, told journalists talks were going on with some members.
"The form of the dialogue is back room channels ... to reach across with the objective of understanding what exactly the grievances of these persons are, what exactly can be done to resolve the crises," he told press at the presidential villa.
"The available options are not solely military action and it is on the basis of this that he had reached out to leaders in the parts of the country that are affected," Abati said.
A group of governors from Nigeria's largely Muslim north set up a committee on Wednesday tasked with trying to talk to the Boko Haram.
Abati said: "Social programmes to transform lives, to create wealth, to ... create jobs and to engage young people more effectively," would aim to starve the sect of recruits.
The main faction led by Abubakar Shekau maintains, at least in public, that it will not engage in talks with the government.
The closest the Boko Haram have come to acknowledging talks was in March, when a former ally of Boko Haram's founder Mohammed Yusuf acted as a go-between. The initiative fell apart in days.
Two pilots are to appear in court after being arrested on suspicion of being drunk as they prepared to fly a passenger jet from Scotland to the US.
A European Commission spokesman said “the ball is still rolling” a day after Germany’s economy minister said the talks had “de facto failed.”
Caught between chronic economic instability and large numbers of migrants, Athens feels abandoned by fellow EU states
'We would oppose efforts to move south and engage in activities against the Syrian Democratic Forces,' Ben Rhodes says
'High-grade' nickel discovered in northwestern Kaduna state
Head of UN refugee agency visits Ugandan camps hosting South Sudanese refugees
Attackers storm wedding ceremony with hand grenades and machine-guns, according to army sources
Pair had been planning to flee to Somalia, police officer says
Delegation members to discuss ongoing Yemen conflict with Iraqi officials
At 40, Chahed is Tunisia's youngest premier since independence from France in 1956, and the seventh in less than six years since the 2011 uprising that ousted strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
Country’s official electoral commission rejects calls to allow Hashd al-Shaabi to register as party in advance of polls
Campaigners want government to uphold rule of law as reports emerge of police removing headscarf-wearing women from beaches
No casualties reported in early-morning explosion at Brussels Institute of Criminology
The independent City Press on Sunday said the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) was on the verge of charging the minister in a case dating back to the time he headed the country's tax collecting agency.