World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish media organizations have condemned violence against Turkish cameraman who went missing in Syria.
Turkish Association of News Cameramen, Turkish Journalists' Federation and Ankara Association of Journalists demanded immediate release of Unal.
In a statement released Monday, the Turkish Association of News Cameraman said that they strongly condemned Syria for preventing Cuneyt Unal from doing his job, for showing Unal as a confessor, and portraying Unal as a side and actor in the war.
"We condemn the video footage related to cameraman Cuneyt Unal. Unal has been a cameraman for the past 17 years and he has been our member for the past 15 years. The best response to the Syrian TV channel's arguments that Unal was a spy is the award Unal received last year for the best news footage of the year. Unal was in Syria for reporting purposes and he has worked for many respectable organizations, including CNN Turk and TRT Turk. Unal was in Syria to convey the developments in the country through his camera. We demand an urgent release of Cuneyt Unal and Besar Fehmi," the Turkish Association of News Cameraman stressed.
A statement by Turkish Journalists' Federation said that the federation was ready to extend any support regarding the incident.
Unal went missing with a Palestinian journalist Beshar Fahmi two weeks ago in Syria.
Regarding the recently broadcast video footage of cameraman Unal, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the video clearly showed that Unal delivered a statement previously dictated to him and he could not have turned into an armed militant all of a sudden.
"The Syrian regime can declare a cameraman or an opponent a terrorist. Anyone who raises his voice against cruelty can be named a terrorist, Israeli spy or
something else," he said.
The minister also underscored that Unal's health was now the responsibility of the Syrian state.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.