World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey's National Security Council (MGK) convened on Tuesday to discuss the recent PKK attacks on Turkish soil and the issue of a growing number of Syrian refugees crossing into Turkey every day.
The meeting began at 1:30 p.m. at the Çankaya presidential palace under the chairmanship of President Abdullah Gül, who was temporarily discharged from the Hacettepe University hospital, where he is receiving medical treatment for a recurring ear problem, to attend the meeting.
A top agenda item is the increasing number of Syrians seeking refuge in Turkey due to heightened violence in Syria. Turkey has so far taken in more than 80,000 Syrians, and all nine Turkish refugee camps along the border are full. Until recently, newcomers were being housed in schools, dormitories or sports centers near the border while Turkish authorities scrambled to construct four new camps that will increase Turkey's capacity to100,000 refugees.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu recently urged the international community to share the country's burden.
“The spike in the number of Syrian refuges places a huge burden on us. And this burden should be shared with the international community. The measures that should be taken in the face of a growing influx of refugees -- and I hope this does not happen -- should be reviewed,” Davutoğlu said at a press conference on Monday.
The issue will also be discussed at a UN Security Council meeting on Thursday.
The MGK meeting is also expected to discuss the development of new strategies to combat PKK violence on Turkish soil after the latest attack by the militant Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in Gaziantep province, one of a series of violent incidents in the past few weeks.
Last week, a car bomb exploded near a police station in Gaziantep, a province close to Turkey's border with Syria. A total of nine people -- all civilians, and including four children -- were killed in the blast, and as many as 70 people were wounded. The blast was caused by the detonation of a cache of explosives loaded onto a truck parked near the Karşıyaka Police Department.
The attack in Gaziantep was followed by the killing of 15 PKK militants in Hakkari by Turkish security forces early on Monday. In addition, around 150 PKK militants were killed in Şemdinli, a district of Hakkari province, in July as part of large-scale military operations in the area.
Although PKK said it was not responsible for the blast, there is a growing body of evidence that the attack was carried out by the PKK. One of the suspects detained in connection with the blast is a senior official of the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), which encompasses the PKK.
Mevlut Cavusoglu rules out PKK/YPG extremist groups' involvement in retaking Raqqa from ISIL
Istanbul chief public prosecutor's office issues orders to arrest 123 suspects
Russia ready to expand TurkStream to Europe should EU agree on gas imports, Russian FM says
Mayor of Diyarbakir arrested as part of investigation into terrorist organization PKK
Military says caves, tunnels used as shelter, storage in Sirnak province
Interior ministry announces reward of up to $1.3 million for information leading to arrest of Adil Oksuz
Turkey stands in solidarity with its brotherly country Pakistan, Turkish Foreign Ministry says
Thousands of candidates say the civil service exam fraud cheated them out of jobs and want this injustice overturned
Proposed text to amend constitution will be on Turkish parliament's agenda soon: Opposition Nationalist Movement Party head
Justice and Development Party MP's meet diplomats in effort to correct misrepresentations of Turkey
An explosion has rocked the Turkish resort city of Antalya outside the Chamber of Commerce building
On its 71st anniversary, Turkish President Erdogan says Turkey hopes UN 'takes a leading role in the fight against terrorism'
Yildirim thanks Abbas for support following July 15 coup attempt
Foreign Ministry source says foreign outlets' claims that civilians were killed in an operation are only allegations
Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag to share new evidence, obtained since Sept. 10, with US Attorney General Loretta Lynch