World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Tuesday responded to a letter sent to him by the leader of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, which included criticism of the government's policies on Syria.
The prime minister responded with a letter of his own saying that Kılıçdaroğlu's claim that Turkey has failed to “bring its power into play,” insinuating that it could have done so, “is untrue.”
“In your letter, you ignore the fact that the Syrian regime's insistence on carrying out its massacre simply axes any kind of solution [to the Syrian crisis],” Erdoğan added.
He also criticized the CHP leader's recent proposal to address the Syrian crisis. Earlier this month, Kılıçdaroğlu explained his party's “road map” to address the Syrian crisis, proposing that Parliament hold an urgent session on Syria and call for an international conference under the auspices of the UN.
He said the conference should involve a three stage approach towards finding a solution. The first should focus on the opinions and statements of representatives of the Syrian regime and the opposition. In the second stage, he said, there should be an agreement concerning initial negotiations and that the Syrian sides should be urged to reach an agreement and talks should continue until they reach a deal. He said in the third stage, the document on the agreement between the two sides should be voted on at the conference before it is submitted to the UN Security Council, adding that a peacekeeping force should be established to ensure the implementation of any agreement reached.
Erdoğan criticized the CHP's suggested plan for “being represented as if it was a new and original plan, even though it was one that Turkey had been working on since March 2011, and which was also mentioned in the declaration released after a meeting of world powers on the Syrian crisis on June 30.”
Rifles, grenades found by gendarmes near Marmaris hotel
Articles in Western media mischaracterize the state of emergency, ignore FETO's threat to democracy
Erdogan visits parliament for first time since failed overthrow
73 suspects have alleged links to Fetullah Gulen Extremist Organization
Since the power cut, US forces at Incirlik used back-up generators so they could continue aerial strikes against ISIL targets in neighboring Syria.
21-year-old Omer Halid Dervise remains in a coma after being shot from behind during July 15 coup attempt
With Turkish flags in hand, tens of thousands gather at night on Istanbul's Bosphorus bridge, the symbol of the fight against coup attempt, where tanks opened fire on civilians on July 15
For first time since July 15 failed putsch, Turkish president will inspect parts of parliament hit by bombs and gunfire
Normalization process between Russia, Turkey continues despite military coup attempt: Russian Embassy in Ankara
More than 20 wounded in Manisa, when train crashes into minibus carrying farm workers in the early morning
Turkish Deputy PM Kurtulmus says state of emergency is declared to more effectively put coup supporters to justice
Former economy star Ali Babacan says ratings agencies should talk to Turkish officials, public first
The coup plotters who fled to Greece should not be given political asylum, says FM Mevlut Cavusoglu
National will strongest antidote to coup, president says
US vice president says Turkey’s extradition request for Gulen to be examined closely and as soon as possible, according to AK Party official
Presidential spokesman says daily life will not be affected by state of emergency