World Bulletin / News Desk
Canadian police on Wednesday said the suspect who allegedly shot dead a person outside a victory rally for the separatist Parti Quebecois is the owner of a hunting-outfitting business.
A police source confirmed Quebec media reports that Richard Henry Bain, aged 61 or 62, was being held in custody after the Tuesday night shooting, which took place as Quebec's new premier-designate, Pauline Marois, was addressing jubilant supporters.
Police said they have no motive for the shooting, and no evidence that the shooter had accomplices.
The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the name of the suspect has not yet been formally released.
Bruno Beaulieu, a spokesman for the Quebec police force, said the suspect may appear in court on Wednesday night or Thursday.
"We don't reveal the criminal background of someone. But in this case I'm going to tell you this is not a well-known person to police services," Montreal spokesman Ian LaFreniere said on CTV Television.
Television footage showed a man wearing a black balaclava and what appeared to be a blue bathrobe over black clothing as police bundled him into a vehicle.
Police would not confirm media reports that an AK47 assault rifle was found at the crime scene. Television images showed police removing an assault rifle from the suspect's hands.
"The English are waking up," the suspect said, in French, as the police took him away.
Marois, whose party won a minority in Tuesday's election, had promised to strengthen laws designed to ensure the dominance of the French language, which has worried some in the minority English-speaking community.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Marois downplayed the possibility of political motives for the shooting. She said she never feared for her own security and called the incident "profoundly sad" for Quebec.
"I believe it was an isolated incident and it doesn't represent who we are," she said.
Dias Kadyrbayev is one of three friends of convicted bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev due to be sentenced next week for interfering with the investigation into the bombing
The governor was blamed for Mosul's fall to ISIL in June 2014
15 Chinese nationals have been charged with developing a fraud scheme for college entrance exams.
Macedonia has agreed to take part in the Turkish gas stream project once Russia and Brussels reach an agreement on the strategic project
S.Africa's police minister said that President Jacob Zuma will not be liable to repay money spent on controversial security upgrades to his rural home, part of a project that cost over $20 million.
The influential Catholic church in Burundi have withdrawn their support from the elections.
Colonel Gulmurod Khalimov who has been missing since late April, has defected to ISIL
Both Greek and Turkish Cypriot leaders have agreed to open further crossing points and to merge their electricity networks.
Special security has been tightened ahead of 'high-risk' Euro 2016 qualifier between Israel and Bosnia
The Moroccan suspect had been detained at the Ras Ajdir crossing on the Libyan border.
The South African government on Thursday denied accusations that it had paid a $10-million bribe to host the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
A draft report concerning OPEC's long-term strategy, forecast crude supply from rival non-OPEC producers would grow at least until 2017.
Creditors are doubtful as Greece predicts bailout deal by Sunday with lenders.
The ministry said on its website that the three had been sentenced to prison for three, six and ten years respectively for "conspiring" with Israeli security agencies.
US Vice President Joe Biden has blasted Russian President Putin and has said that 'Helping Ukraine against Russian aggression is critical to checking further aggression down the road,'
Speaking before meeting the G7 finance chiefs, IMF director Christine Lagarde said there was still a lot of work to do before Greece and its int. lenders could clinch a cash-for-reforms deal.