World Bulletin / News Desk
Sixty refugees from Iraq, Syria and Palestine lost their lives after a boat carrying them sank in the Aegean Sea off the coast of İzmir on Thursday.
Twenty-eight of the victims were children while 18 of them were women, the authorities said
İzmir deputy governor Ardahan Totuk said 46 people onboard the vessel were rescued and the bodies of all the victims were recovered.The survivors were taken to Ahmetbeyli Gendarmerie Station where they were given food and clothing, noted Totuk, adding that they would later be transferred to a guest house for foreigners in the district of Bornova.
The incident took place near the Menderes district. Menderes district governor Tahsin Kurtbeyoğlu said there were approximately 106 people onboard the boat.
State-run television TRT reported the boat had sunk after hitting rocks around dawn just 50 meters away from the coast. The dozens of survivors were able to swim through the Aegean waters to shore. Kurtbeyoğlu said the 46th survivor was rescued by divers while he was trying to swim to shore.
Those who survived, according to initial reports, were on the deck of the boat rather than below with other members of their group. It was not immediately clear when exactly the boat sank, but many such vessels carrying refugees make the journey at night to avoid detection by authorities.
The captain of the boat and his assistant are among the survivors and they were taken into custody by the police. They are accused of organizing the deadly voyage.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.