World Bulletin / News Desk
Iran will hold presidential elections on June 14 next year, the Interior Ministry said on Friday, the first such vote since a violent crackdown on protests over Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed re-election in 2009.
The 2013 presidential vote is expected to be a contest between candidates representing Ahmadinejad's allies and his more conservative opponents. Ahmadinejad himself cannot run for a third term due to a constitutional limit.
"The next presidential election will be held at the same time as municipal elections," the official IRNA news agency said, citing the Interior Ministry.
Iran's disputed 2009 presidential election was followed by months of massive anti-government street protests, quelled by security forces. The opposition said the vote was rigged in Ahmadinejad's favour, a charge dismissed by the authorities.
The two leading opposition leaders Mirhossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi have been held incommunicado since February last year when the two called their supporters on to the streets for a rally in support of uprisings in the Arab world.
In a contest between conservative factions in parliamentary elections in March, loyalists of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei won the majority of seats, eroding Ahmadinejad's authority.
Foreign Minister Alan Peter Cayetano said the country, being a sovereign nation, expects respects from the United Nations
Such set-piece rallies, organised by the authorities, are a regular feature of political life in Pyongyang, and are intended as a physical demonstration of popular support for the leadership.
Passage of Bangsamoro Basic Law will convince other Moro rebel groups to disarm and unite, says MILF's Ghazali Jaafar
Punjab and Haryana High Court frees 3 rape convicts on bail, blame victim for act
It could be at least another two weeks before the outcome is known after Prime Minister Bill English's National party fell just short of confirming a fourth-term in power.
Sea King Helicopter fires missile in open sea and successfully hits target, says navy spokesman
The epicenter is roughly the same as that of a previous shallow earthquake on September 3, which turned out to be caused by a North Korean nuclear test, the official Xinhua news agency said.
No Indian role under new US South Asia and Afghanistan policy is acceptable, says Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif
Duterte: "We will not celebrate, after all have been said and done, we will just go out quietly. No one wins this war."
Moreover, the death risk for the Rakhine natives continues due to malnutrition and unsanitary environment even after they flee to Bangladesh.
Mass exodus of the Rohingya from Myanmar to Bangladesh may be categorized as irregular movement
Kuveyt Turk's donation to Turkish Red Crescent will help Rohingya Muslims being persecuted in Myanmar
Experts predict increased likelihood of eruption on island of Bali
Some 429,000 Rohingya refugees have arrived into Bangladesh since Aug. 25, UN Migration Agency says
The National Child Protection Authority (NCPA) said it was probing the incident.
Philippine president said he would lift military rule in Mindanao once Marawi has been cleared, improvised explosive devices