World Bulletin/News Desk
Rescuers in southwestern China tried on Saturday to reach remote communities rocked by back-to-back earthquakes that killed at least 89 people and damaged tens of thousands of buildings, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Friday's shallow 5.6 magnitude quakes struck an impoverished, mountainous part of the country with poor infrastructure and telecommunications and the death toll could rise as news trickles out of cut-off areas, it said.
Most of the victims were from Yiliang county in Yunnan province, near the epicentre.
Footage from state broadcaster CCTV showed boulder-covered roadways, abandoned cars and black smoke billowing from buildings.
President Hu Jintao, visiting the Russian city of Vladivostok for an Asia-Pacific summit, called for efforts to help the victims and Premier Wen Jiabao headed to the quake zone, Xinhua reported.
Rescuers in Yunnan said late on Friday they had reached 90 percent of the six quake-hit counties under the jurisdiction of Zhaotong city, where 740,000 people had been affected by the quakes, it said.
Direct economic losses tallied 3.5 billion yuan ($552 million), Yunnan's civil affairs department was quoted as saying.
Officials in neighbouring Guizhou said two people were injured and the lives of nearly 28,000 people were disrupted in Weining county, on the Yunnan border.
Buildings in China's less developed regions are often built with little regard for construction standards, making them susceptible to earthquakes.
The first one at 11:19 a.m. (0319 GMT) on Friday and the second one about 45 minutes later at a depth of about 10 km (6 miles), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Earthquakes with an epicentre less than 70 km (45 miles) below the surface are considered shallow and can cause significant damage, even at lower magnitudes.
In 2008, about 87,600 people were killed in the southwestern province of Sichuan when a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit. Many of the victims died in the rubble of homes and schools built without adequate steel reinforcement.
Filmmaker Saleh Daldam is reportedly detained for ‘working to detriment of national security’
Japanese PM says he will try to convince the new US administration led by Donald Trump to reconsider decision to scrap deal
Gen. Dostum's guards are accused of abducting and sexually assaulting his political rival in northern Afghanistan
Singapore's foreign ministry said Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying told Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in a letter that investigations had been completed and the Terrex vehicles would be released.
Spicer said Monday that the US "is going to make sure we protect our interests" in the sea.
The men were the second batch of would-be refugees denied asylum by German authorities and deported, despite growing insecurity in Afghanistan.
The agreement, the biggest trade deal in history, was seen as a counter to China's rising economic influence. It was signed last year but has not gone into effect.
Some 21,000 internally displaced while 66,000 have fled to Bangladesh since October attacks, security ops, report says
The bodies of six women and three men were washed ashore at a beach near the town of Mersing earlier Monday, the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency said.
At least eight soldiers and a rebel get killed in clash in North Cotabato amid peace talks in Rome, Italy
Mountaineering experts say climbing in winter is more dangerous than spring -- when most people tackle the 8,848 metre peak -- owing to high winds and extreme cold.
The announcement of a probe came a day before parliament was due to debate a report by lawmakers who in October recommended the criminal prosecution of former central bank chief Arjuna Mahendran.
Xu Xiang's was the first insider trading case to be brought to court in the country and involved more than 40 billion yuan ($5.8 billion), respected Chinese financial magazine Caixin reported.
Turkish authorities became suspicious the group was planning to enter Syria, where IS controls territory, and decided to send them back to Indonesia, said the spokesman, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.
Several others wounded during encounter in northeastern India, military says
Huang Xingguo, 62, headed the response committee after the explosion rocked Tianjin in August 2015, devastating a huge swathe of the port city.