World Bulletin/News Desk
The Hong Kong government said on Saturday schools did not have to adopt a China-backed curriculum from 2015 in an apparent backdown following protests by tens of thousands of people who described it as an attempt to brainwash students.
Parents, teachers and students have staged a week-long protest, claiming the curriculum amounts to Communist Party propaganda that glosses over the darker aspects of Chinese rule.
The decision comes on the eve of elections in Hong Kong, a former British territory handed back to China in 1997, that will see a legislature expanded from 60 to 70 seats, with just over half of them to be directly elected.
Hong Kong's embattled new leader Leung Chun-ying called the move on the education plan a "major policy amendment", saying he had heard and understood the public's criticism.
The government noted the scheme had not been withdrawn and that schools could introduce it as they saw fit.
"We don't want the recent controversy to affect the operations of schools, nor do we want to see the harmony of the education environment to be affected (by the scheme)," said Leung.
The Beijing-backed Hong Kong leader has drawn criticism over a series of issues since he took office on July 1, including the national education programme, sky-high property prices and concerns about an influx of mainland Chinese visitors to the former British colony.
Predecessor resigned 18 months before tenure due to expire amid probe into links between PM, debt-ridden state wealth fund
Defends Facebook post for which he was convicted and ordered to pay $40,000 in fines and compensation
Gov't meets leaders of 2 of country's most powerful rebel groups, who had previously refused to participate in peace talks
President Rodrigo Duterte threatened ceasefire withdrawal with communists after rebels involved in death of gov’t employee
Jin Kyung-joon, a vice ministerial-level official, is the first high levelprosecutor arrested while in office
Official says executions of 10 other drug smugglers to be held at later stage, without providing details
Sherbakov was also ordered by the court to pay $23,000 in compensation to the woman's family over the November 2015 killing.
National Security Council Act necessary, says Najib Razak, and other countries have since followed Malaysia's lead
China and Russia will hold "routine" naval drills in the South China Sea in September
Boy shot during riots caused by allegations that Hindu man burned copy of Quran
Secretary of state says Hague decison on disputes of ownership legally binding ; expects compliance
Report says families of missing people still lack closure, years after end of civil war in 2009
South Korean military reveals recent discovery of North Korean leaflets in Han River
China slams statement released by allies urging sides abide by Hague court’s South China Sea ruling in favor of Manila
Attorney general does not deny executions may be held at end of week as security tightened around notorious prison island
Irom Sharmila brings protest to end to enter politics, continue fight against human rights abuses