World Bulletin / News Desk
The Turkish General Staff has said that 330 PKK militants had been killed in the fight against terror between February and August 2012.
The army statement comes after criticisms about its effectiveness in fighting PKK.
In a written statement on Monday, the General Staff said 10 terrorists were captured wounded as 33 of them were arrested in security operations and 24 terrorists have surrendered to security forces.
The General Staff said, "as of September 6, 88 Turkish troops have been killed in clashes with the terrorist organization," adding that 54 of them were full-time professional soldiers and the rest of them were soldiers recruited under compulsory military service.
Fighting between the military and the PKK has intensified in recent months in southeastern Turkey, leaving dozens of Turkish soldiers dead. The General Staff came under the spotlight once more last week after 25 privates were killed in an explosion at a munitions depot in the central province of Afyonkarahisar.
Terrorism experts cite unsafe conditions of military outposts, poorly trained soldiers and a lack of intelligence as the reasons for the deaths.
Responding to these criticisms, the General Staff Communications Department released a statement dismissing claims that the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) are inactive in military outposts and saying operations against the terrorists are continuing uninterrupted.
Guinness world record attempt for longest truck procession take place at city's 3rd airport, still under construction
Meetings between Erdogan, EU officials during NATO summit held in constructive atmosphere: European Commission chief
President has right to address group as party chairman, says Mustafa Elitas
BIST 100 index opens 0.17 percent higher; US dollar/Turkish lira rate stands at around 3.57
Foreign Ministry urges politicians and media abroad to play their roles in preventing such attacks
Speaking at the 564th anniversary event of Istanbul's conquest, Erdogan says serving Istanbul means serving Turkey
Saturday's suicide car bombing in southeastern province of Khost left 18 people dead
PKK attack in southeastern Sirnak province had left the soldier in critical condition
Speaking at fast-breaking program, Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will not allow July 15 coup attempt to happen again
Bus veered out of control as driver fell asleep, 11 of the injured are in critical condition
Owner of Turkish daily, two employees accused of helping FETO terror group
Turkey's delegation at parliamentary assembly will grow from 12 to 18 members in light of its population
Turkish president was very clear about Ankara's expectations from EU, Mevlut Cavusoglu says
Operations launched in five provinces as part of probe into terrorist organization's financial network
Parliamentary inquiry committee head for July 15 defeated coup says FETO behind attempt under orders from US-based Gulen