World Bulletin / News Desk
Four commanders have been removed from their positions after a deadly arsenal blast last week that left 25 soldiers dead, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Tuesday.
Speaking at a press conference at Esenboğa Airport in Ankara before his flight to Azerbaijan for a meeting of the Turkey-Azerbaijan High Level Strategic Cooperation Council, Erdoğan also criticized Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu over his recent allegations that during private meetings with various military officers, Kılıçdaroğlu was informed that a majority of the higher-ranking military personnel believes that last week's ammunition depot explosion in Afyonkarahisar was most likely a result of sabotage. Erdoğan said that the military will take legal action over the remarks.
“The military believes that there is a 99 percent likelihood that the blast was caused by sabotage,” the CHP leader said in an interview with the Güneş daily on Monday.
“The commanders talked about a mechanism that is activated when it is manipulated from outside. We need to look at this, though without excluding that 1 percent possibility [of the cause not being sabotage],” Kılıçdaroğlu further stated.
A total of 25 soldiers were killed in the huge explosion and subsequent fire at an ammunition depot in the western province of Afyonkarahisar last week. The explosion sent shockwaves across the country with its high death toll. Both military and civilian authorities are investigating the cause of the explosion, while initial reports have said the blast was due to the mishandling of hand grenades by officers who were classifying them.
Erdoğan also responded to criticism directed against Afyonkarahisar Governor İrfan Balkanlıoğlu, who welcomed Chief of General Staff Necdet Özel after the blast and gave him some souvenirs from Afyonkarahisar, posing with the military chief for photographers while smiling and presenting him with the gifts. Although it is normal that the two came together, Erdoğan said, it is not quite right to present gifts on such a day and to post the photographs on the website of the governor's office.
Turkish Foreign Ministry says state of emergency in country is against terrorists
FETO members were convicted for attempting to violate constitutional order at night of July 2016 defeated coup
392 convicts were handed aggravated life sentences since the July 2016 defeated coup
Main opposition CHP Deputy Chair Ozturk Yilmaz says he will be candidate if CHP leader does not become presidential nominee
Lavrov slams comments by US state department aide on Turkish-Russian missile deal as 'blackmail'
Turkish President says it is 'beyond football terrorism' on incidents at Thursday's derby between Fenerbahce and Besiktas
Foreign Ministry criticizes Greek court's decision to release coup plotter and ex-Turkish soldier Suleyman Ozkaynakci
Deputy Premier Recep Akdag meets Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Minister of Economy and Energy Ozdil Nami in Ankara
AK Party deputy chairman briefs journalists on upcoming Turkish elections
Parliament's general assembly is expected to debate the bill on Friday
Number of security staff are accused of political spying in 2014 when Recep Tayyip Erdogan was prime minister
After parliament decides on election bill, it will be published in official gazette without being approved by president
Turkish deputy prime minister says plans for early elections avert uncertainty
Soldier killed when explosive device went off during security search in Afrin