World Bulletin / News Desk
The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) has said it is withholding prize money from Turkish soccer clubs Fenerbahçe and Eskişehirspor from this season's competition as it investigates the clubs for breaching "financial fair play" rules.
The UEFA said on Tuesday that the two teams are among 23 clubs whose prize money from this season's Champions League or Europa League could be withheld because of overdue payments of transfer fees, wages and social taxes up to the end of June.
Europa League champion Atletico Madrid, Malaga and Sporting Lisbon are also being investigated.
The list of offending clubs was drawn up by Jean-Luc Dehaene, the former prime minister of Belgium and the head of the panel appointed by the UEFA to handle financial fair play cases.
The clubs will have to provide an updated report on Sept. 30 to a UEFA committee led by former Belgian Prime Minister Jean-Luc Dehaene.
"This ... measure will remain in force until all identified balances have been settled in full or until a final decision by the (UEFA committee) is taken," said UEFA.
UEFA approved the introduction of the far-reaching financial fair play rules in 2009 in a bid to reduce debt and introduce better and more transparent financial dealings among clubs playing in its competitions.
UEFA president Michel Platini said the measures have been introduced to stop clubs from spending their way into oblivion and to force them to live within their means.
They are also intended to stop wealthy owners from trying to buy success with limitless spending on players, distorting the transfer market in the process.
Transfer fees and outgoing payments have been monitored since the start of the 2011/12 season with clubs tasked with breaking even in 2012 and 2013 and being assessed during the 2013/14 season.
If clubs have not come into line by then, they could be thrown out of European competition.
Eurasia Airshow to gather aeronautical professionals in southern resort city of Antalya
Around 1.4M Turkish immigrants are eligible to vote for early parliamentary and presidential elections on June 24
After defeat of FETO coup bid, no internal or external power will again attempt coup in Turkey, says parliament speaker
1 other terrorist injured during operation in eastern Tunceli province
Top government officials and politicians visit Anitkabir, the mausoleum of Turkish Republic founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
Security forces carried out nearly 1,400 counter-terrorism operations across Turkey over last week, says Interior Ministry
On Saturday, Turkish president said he does not want any more tensions with Greece
Afghan, Pakistani nationals among those held in Erzurum province
Turkish main opposition deputies resign to join Good (IYI) Party
Schools carry names of Turkish premier's mother and mother-in-law
Recep Tayyip Erdogan marks National Sovereignty and Children’s Day, held every year on April 23
13 coup cases ended since February 2017, when first coup-plotter appeared before judge in Ankara
After setting off from Sweden last August, Benjamin Ladraa, 25, welcomed by representatives of Turkish NGOs
'Biased' US report ignores facts, and treats terrorist allegations as real, says Turkish Foreign Ministry
Turkish president says they will respect nation's wish during early election