World Bulletin / News Desk
The spokesman of the parliamentary Coup and Memorandum Investigation Commission has announced that the commission will hear the testimonies of media bosses and newspaper editors-in-chief who served at the time of the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed coup as part of its investigation into the coup.
The commission's spokesman, İdris Şahin, who is also a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) deputy, said the commission will hear the testimonies of the leading media bosses of the Feb. 28 period, including Aydın Doğan, Turgay Ciner and Dinç Bilgin. The commission will also hear the testimonies of editors-in-chief of popular newspapers of the period, such as Fatih Çekirge, Zafer Mutlu and Ertuğrul Özkök.
Şahin said the commission will invite those people to testify to the commission in October when Parliament returns from its summer recess. Şahin also said the commission plans to hear the testimonies of several other prominent figures of the Feb. 28 coup who are currently under arrest on various charges. “We will visit those people in prison and hear them,” he said.
The Turkish military overthrew a coalition government -- the Welfare Party (RP)-True Path Party (DYP) government -- on Feb. 28, 1997, citing allegedly increasing fundamentalist activities in the country as the reason. The military traditionally considers itself the guardian of the secular order in Turkey.
On Tuesday, the Star daily reported that an investigation of the parliamentary Coup and Memorandum Investigation Commission has shown that roughly 90 percent of loans provided by the big banks of Turkey in the run-up to the Feb. 28 coup were transferred to a number of private companies that ran popular media organs.
Earlier this month, the commission began examining reports showing loans provided by several banks as well as bank account activities of certain actors in the Feb. 28 coup. Halk Bankası and Ziraat Bankası recently sent the commission such reports. After examining the reports, the commission will decide if those actors made financial gains during the coup period. The reports include the accounts of politicians and top military officers and bureaucratic officials at the time. However, the commission has not provided the public with the names of the individuals whose bank account activities from the Feb. 28 period have been sent to the commission.
Istanbul protesters hurled firecrackers behind police lines, while hundreds of people, including bystanders caught up in the melee
Turkish President Abdullah Gul approved a law closing private preparatory schools, many of which are a source of income and influence for an Islamic cleric accused by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan of seeking to topple him
Turkish PM Erdogan called the upcoming local elections the most significant in Turkey's history and accused opposition parties and the Gulen movement of encouraging violence on streets.
Top diplomats of the three countries will exchange views on enhancing regional cooperation on the issues of common interest to all three countries.
Elvan, then aged 14, got caught up in street battles in Istanbul between police and protesters on June 16
Turkish dailies on Wednesday mainly cover the death of Gezi protests victim after 269 days in coma, the release of the detained suspects in Ergenekon case and the killings in courthouses.
Plans to reconstruct the military barracks in its former spot in Taksim's Gezi Park caused much controversy last year, when activists occupied the park to prevent building work from being commenced.
More detainees in "Ergenekon" coup trial have been released as the maximum detention period is reduced.
Turkey and Niger signed agreements for cooperation in energy, infrastructure, health
Elvan was the sixth person to die in violence during nationwide protests in late May and June over Erdogan's plans to rebuild an Istanbul park
Israel's Netanyahu said he is hopeful for the restoration of diplomatic ties with Turkey.
Turkish parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek said “The biggest insult and the biggest disrespect that can be done to a society is accusing them of committing genocide, though it is not real.”
Muhammad Salih claims that followers of Fethullah Gulen are pushing to deport him from Turkey in return for a lift of restrictions on their activities in Uzbekistan.
Most Turkish dailies on Tuesday dedicated their front pages to the releases of detainees connected with Ergenekon case – an alleged coup plot – plus a Turkish Super League football match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce which was abandonded after fans threw flares and objects on to the pitch before clashing with police.
A court in Istanbul frees two more detainess of Ergenekon alleged coup attempt case, but one will still be detained pending his second case.
Two people, one man and one woman, have been shot in an attack at a courthouse in Istanbul's Caglayan district.