World Bulletin / News Desk
Firefighting teams from the country's forestry service are attempting to contain a wildfire that has destroyed nearly 250 acres of forestland in the foothills of the Kaz Mountains in the western province of Balıkesir.
Balıkesir Governor Ahmet Turhan is also in the area and is leading the containment efforts as firefighting teams struggle to get the fire under control. A piece of heavy equipment that had been contributing to efforts to bring the fire under control overturned, and several firefighters have suffered from smoke inhalation.
Many local residents and firefighters have been taken to the hospital for treatment. Due to a blustering wind, the fire now threatens to engulf Havran, a district of Balıkesir, as strong winds have fanned the flames near in the area. More than 100 water tenders and over 10 pieces of heavy equipment are being used to tackle the fire.
Some residents of the village of Tepeopba, located in the vicinity of the blaze, have begun to return their to homes as the immediate threat to the village has been alleviated. Dozens of animals have been killed by the fire.
Considering the ongoing threat of the fire, several ambulances and the Prime Ministry's Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD) teams are still in the region.
The area that was engulfed in flames in the foothills of the Kaz Mountains in Balıkesir is full of pinus pinea, larch, vineyards, vegetable gardens, orchards and olive groves. The fire is likely to cause significant damage to the local economy.
Guinness world record attempt for longest truck procession take place at city's 3rd airport, still under construction
Meetings between Erdogan, EU officials during NATO summit held in constructive atmosphere: European Commission chief
President has right to address group as party chairman, says Mustafa Elitas
BIST 100 index opens 0.17 percent higher; US dollar/Turkish lira rate stands at around 3.57
Foreign Ministry urges politicians and media abroad to play their roles in preventing such attacks
Speaking at the 564th anniversary event of Istanbul's conquest, Erdogan says serving Istanbul means serving Turkey
Saturday's suicide car bombing in southeastern province of Khost left 18 people dead
PKK attack in southeastern Sirnak province had left the soldier in critical condition
Speaking at fast-breaking program, Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will not allow July 15 coup attempt to happen again
Bus veered out of control as driver fell asleep, 11 of the injured are in critical condition
Owner of Turkish daily, two employees accused of helping FETO terror group
Turkey's delegation at parliamentary assembly will grow from 12 to 18 members in light of its population
Turkish president was very clear about Ankara's expectations from EU, Mevlut Cavusoglu says
Operations launched in five provinces as part of probe into terrorist organization's financial network
Parliamentary inquiry committee head for July 15 defeated coup says FETO behind attempt under orders from US-based Gulen