World Bulletin / News Desk
A wildfire destroyed 500 hectares of forestland in the Kaz (Ida) Mountains in the western province of Balıkesir. The fire was brought under control early on Wednesday following two days of hard work by firefighters.
The large wildfire started late on Monday in the Havran district of Balıkesir province. Firefighting teams from the country's forestry service, which rushed to the area soon after the fire broke out, worked hard to extinguish the fire but were unsuccessful due to extreme weather conditions, with winds blowing at speeds of over 70 kilometers per hour. More than 100 fire trucks were used to tackle the fire.
The firefighters brought the fire under control early on Wednesday at 1 a.m. and then worked on cooling down the area. No injures were reported as a result of the wildfire, but many people were forced to evacuate their villages in the affected area as part of security measures taken by officials.
The head of the Regional Directorate of Forestry, Recep Ateş, who spoke to the Anatolia news agency on Wednesday, said that 500 hectares of forestland had been destroyed, adding that most of the destroyed land comprised Calabria pine forest. Olive groves and farmland had also been affected by the fire. Stating that the fire had been brought under control very early on Wednesday, he added that 25 vehicles equipped with sprinklers were working to cool down the area.
Ateş said once the area had been cooled down, it would be cleaned up. “After all the work is completed, the Regional Directorate of Forestry will replant trees in the destroyed area. We will make the area as green as it was before. The wildfire spread very rapidly due to strong winds, but there are some parts of the forest that were thankfully not destroyed by the fire. There are also some trees that withered due to the extreme heat. Those trees will be cut down and replaced with new young trees,” Ateş stated.
Turkey's offensive against the outlawed Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) and ISIL is 'right and justified', presidential spokesman says
Wednesday’s newspapers covered government coalition talks plus the killing of three soldiers in southern Turkey
The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) on Aug. 3 has placed sanctions on 13 companies and institutions for their role in the ongoing conflict in Syria.
Manned and unmanned aircraft will being a campaign to battle ISIL, in a statement by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
Energy minister Taner Yildiz has said that the gas supply was a result of a terrorist attack by the PKK and it will not go "unpunished".
A Turkish couple in the border town of Kilis, broke tradition and invited more than 4,000 Syrian refugees for their wedding party.
EU's enlargement commissioner concerned over tensions between Turkish army and outlawed PKK
Turkish ‘Muslim-friendly' venture part of global $145bn market for religiously observant travellers
Turkish Stream project talks are on hold is due to factors from both Russia and Turkey
A homemade mine planted by PKK militants has exploded killing three soldiers.
The US Department of Defence has launched ISR missions using the Incirlik base in Turkey
'We want to see these attacks cease', says State Deptartment
Source says discusses plight of Uighur and Rohingya at precursor to 48th Foreign Ministerial Meeting of Association of Southeast Asian Nations
A new EU sponsored public opinion poll has revealed that 40 percent people think EU membership would be 'bad' for Turkey
Turkish dailies cover the killing of two soldiers in a suicide attack plus President Erdogan’s remarks on the PKK