World Bulletin/News Desk
The hole in the ozone layer, the earth's protective shield against ultraviolet rays, is expected to be smaller this year over the Antarctic than last, showing how a ban on harmful substances has stopped its depletion, the United Nations said on Friday.
But the hole is probably larger than in 2010 and a complete recovery is still a long way off.
The signing of the Montreal Protocol 25 years ago to phase out chemicals that deplete the ozone layer has helped prevent millions of cases of skin cancer and eye cataracts as well as harmful effects on the environment, the U.N. weather agency said.
"The temperature conditions and the extent of polar stratospheric clouds so far this year indicate that the degree of ozone loss will be smaller than in 2011 but probably somewhat larger than in 2010," the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said in a statement.
The Antarctic ozone hole, which currently measures 19 million square kilometres, most likely would be smaller this year than in the record year of 2006, it said. The annual occurrence typically reaches its maximum surface area during late September and maximum depth in early October.
But the banned chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), once used in refrigerators and spray cans, have a long lifetime in the atmosphere and it will take several decades before their concentrations are back to pre-1980 levels, the WMO said.
The Montreal protocol has been a "great success", U.N. weather agency expert Geir Braathen told a news briefing.
"This has prevented a major environmental disaster and globally ozone depletion has levelled off. We haven't really seen any kind of unequivocal ozone recovery yet," he said.
"Ozone depletion has stopped, levelled off," Braathen said.
In the Arctic stratosphere, there was record ozone loss in spring of 2011, but it has returned to more normal conditions this year, he said.
Among those hit were the London newspapers Daily Telegraph, Independent and Evening Standard, which reported that other news organisations had also been targeted.
The European Union's privacy watchdogs agreed on a set of guidelines to help them implement a ruling from Europe's supreme court that gives people the right to ask search engines to remove personal information
Iraq bars private companies from owning fixed networks transiting domestic data and anything they build is usually seized by the government.
The new crew faces a busy six months in orbit, including a trio of spacewalks to prepare the station for a new fleet of U.S. commercial space taxis
European politicians have grown increasingly concerned about Google's and other American companies' command of the Internet industry, and have sought ways to curb their power
NSA chief Rogers said digital attackers have been able to penetrate such systems and perform "reconnaissance" missions to determine how the networks are put together.
World's largest atomic laboratory finds two subatomic particles; discovery alters shape of physics.
When bank employees were primed to think less about their profession and more about normal life, they were less inclined to dishonesty.
Comets date back to the formation of our solar system and have preserved ancient organic molecules like a time capsule.
The State Department's network was infiltrated last month, but the department did not disconnect the affected systems until over the weekend, according to federal technology information website
Before dying, Philae defied the odds and radioed its science results back to Earth for analysis.
New funds from the Department of Energy will go toward building supercomputers for nuclear weapons and other research.
The presidential library statement said that 50,000 books and archive documents from 27 libraries around Russia had already been handed over for the process of establishing the "alternative Wikipedia".
Hackers could potentially steal login credentials, access sensitive data stored on iOS devices and remotely monitor activity on those devices, the government said.
First spacecraft in history to land on comet's surface posts photos on its twitter account.
The Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth quoted one of the group members as saying that his group had already accessed and blocked the website of the Palestinian Interior Ministry on Tuesday