World Bulletin / News Desk
Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, in a rare appearance before tens of thousands of faithful, said on Monday the United States would face grave repercussions across the Muslim world unless it suppressed a film that insults the Prophet Mohammad.
Saying that the world had not yet grasped the depth of hurt felt by Muslims, Nasrallah called on governments to block access to websites showing the film, which was made in California.
"They slandered the purity of his birth, slandered his faith and his morals, slandered his Quran," Nasrallah told tens of thousands of cheering supporters, who had marched through southern Beirut's Shi'ite suburbs to protest against the film.
"The distribution of this entire film must be banned by the Americans," he said, to roars of applause.
The influential leader, surrounded by armed bodyguards, spoke to tens of thousands of Lebanese protesters waving Lebanese flags and yellow Hezbollah banners. "America, hear us - don't insult our prophet!" they shouted. "Enough humiliation!"
To avoid Israeli assassination, the Hezbollah leader has seldom appeared in public since 2006.
"The world should know our anger would not be a passing outburst but it would be the start of a serious movement that would continue on the level of the Muslim nation to defend the Prophet of God," Nasrallah said.
He called for websites to stop publishing clips said to be a trailer for the amateurishly made movie called "Innocence of Muslims."
The greater goal, Nasrallah said, would be for the world to agree to criminalise insults to any religion and its prophets.
Nasrallah warned of the danger of unleashing further rage if the full-length film emerged.
"America, which uses the pretext of freedom of expression..., needs to understand that putting out the whole film will have very grave consequences around the world."
Some demonstrators said the U.S. refusal to censor the Internet clips was provocative for Muslims, who feel they are often subject to prejudices and aggression by U.S. forces.
"Is it really possible that America can fight wars all over the country and it can't remove one film? America wants to sew strife for sure," said Ahmed Afif, 30, as his small son sitting on his shoulders waved a Hezbollah flag.
MORE PROTESTS CALLED
The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans were killed in Benghazi, Libya, last Tuesday in an attack on the U.S. consulate that coincided with an upsurge of anger about the film.
After Stevens' death, Hezbollah sent out a statement condemning the film as immoral, but it also denounced the violent attack in Benghazi.
On Friday, one person was killed when protests spread to Lebanon's northern city of Tripoli, where thousands of Muslim protesters torched a fast food restaurant.
Some Christians on Monday also joined the rally, where protesters chanted "Death to America, Death to Israel".
"We came here to share with our Muslim brothers in a protest against this insult to the prophet," said Antoine Dau, 60. "This is an assault on Muslim and Christian co-existence."
He said the protests against the film were a chance for Muslims to unite - an apparent reference to differences emerging between Sunni and Shi'ite sects.
"They must cooperate and unite to serve their shared goals, even if there some are some differences between them. What has happened stresses ... that we must direct anger toward the real enemy and not be dragged into discord."
Syria's mostly Sunni-led uprising has proved particularly divisive in Lebanon and led to sporadic clashes in the northern city of Tripoli.
Longtime allies, Hamas and Tehran recently reconciled following years-long falling-out over Syria
21-year-old Ibrahim Halawa had been among hundreds detained in aftermath of Egypt's 2013 military coup
7th round of talks will discuss regulations for release of hostages and prisoners
'Its infrastructure, international airport and government facilities – it’s all game,' Naftali Bennett tells for Christian Media Summit in Jerusalem
Israeli forces close 8 Palestinian media companies in raids, accusing them of 'incitement'
Emirates News Agency confirms incident but does not specify what type of aircraft was involved in crash
Israel accused Iran of using Syrian conflict to establish military positions there
"Police forces have dismantled a band of six persons and seized 100,000 fake visas for Arbaeen" which this year falls on November 9, Tehran's police chief Hossein Rahimi said.
Israel advances plans for first new settler homes in Hebron in 15 years
Kuwait continues to play mediating role between Qatar and Saudi-led bloc of Arab states
"The Qatari regime has honoured me by freezing all my bank accounts," Sheikh Abdullah bin Ali Al-Thani tweeted.
Trump's virulent speech contravened three articles of the 2015 deal, Zarif said in televised remarks broadcast late on Saturday.
Over 20 worshippers killed when Christian anti-Balaka militia broke into mosque in southeastern CAR during Friday prayers
Netanyahu late Saturday lashed out at the police on his Facebook page over leaks to the Israeli media related to the graft investigation.