World Bulletin / News Desk
A son of former President Turgut Özal objected on Wednesday to the opening of his father's grave, as ordered by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office as part of an investigation launched earlier this year into the exact cause of death of the former president.
Although his private doctor determined that the former president had died of a heart attack in 1993, his wife, children and close friends later speculated that he may have been poisoned. The prosecutor's office on Monday decided that Özal's body should be exhumed for a detailed analysis.
Özal's son Efe Özal filed a petition with the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office in which he states that he wants his father to be left in peace in his grave. “We, according to our customs and traditions, completely object to the decision to open my father's grave,” the petition reads.
The body of former President Özal is expected to be exhumed within the next 10 days. On Wednesday night security was tightened around the grave, which is located in İstanbul.
In March, President Abdullah Gül ordered the State Audit Institution (DDK) to launch an investigation into the cause of Özal's death. The DDK submitted a report to Gül stating that Özal may not have been the victim of a heart attack and calling on prosecutors to investigate the case.
Ismail Kahraman says terrorist YPG/PKK ambitions in Afrin, northwestern Syria 'came to naught'
Hasan Celal Guzel, 73, passed away in Ankara on Monday while undergoing medical treatment
YPG/PKK terrorists attack guardhouse in southeastern Sanliurfa; Turkish military retaliates
‘If we are strategic partners, then you will respect us,’ says Turkish president
Suspects arrested in Ankara were plotting terrorist attack ahead of spring festival of Nevruz, police source says
Operation to nab suspects has been launched in 18 cities as part of ongoing FETO probe
Emirati foreign minister's remarks have not been made 'with good intention': Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman
Bekir Bozdag says Afrin civilians unharmed; water, medicine, food supply not prevented during Operation Olive Branch
Operation to go on until terror corridor - Manbij, Ayn al-Arab, Tell Abyad, Ras al-Ayn, Qamishli - is wiped out: President
Disaster and Emergency Management Authority, Turkey's Red Crescent distribute hot meals, food packets in Afrin villages
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
13 terrorists killed, 2 captured, 6 surrendered on March 12-19, says Interior Ministry
Hasan Celal Guzel passes away in hospital in Ankara where he was receiving treatment
Event marked historic 1915 victory and told American public about Turkey, says head of Yunus Emre Institute in the US