World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish motorcycle rider Kenan Sofuoğlu who finished second in the Portuguese Grand Prix on Sunday, which was enough for him to win the 2012 Supersport World Championship, has said that he is the first rider to win the championship three times.
Speaking at a press conference in İstanbul after arriving in Turkey on Tuesday, Sofuoğlu told reporters that he was very happy to bring the championship to his country.
“This is my third championship. There is no one else that has been crowned champion three times in the Supersport World Championship. There are two that won the top spot twice. So I hold the record for now,” he noted.
“I can't say it was the most difficult season I have ever had. The most difficult one was in 2010. But I have had far more problems this year than in previous years. I had to undergo three operations. The injury I had on my knee was giving me a hard time during my trainings,” he said.
Talking about his goals in the future, Sofuoğlu said that he is going to race in the Supersport World Championship one more year, and that he has other plans for the following years.
Saying that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called him following his victory, Sofuoğlu said the prime minister congratulated him and asked about his health condition. “It was an honor that our prime minister is so interested in sports. He even knows about the young athletes that are being trained,” he noted.
Although Sofuoğlu came in second in the Portuguese Grand Prix, it was enough for him to be crowned the 2012 champion with a race still to go.
Sofuoğlu claimed his third Supersport World Championship by finishing behind French rider Jules Cluzel.
Sofuoğlu previously won the World Supersport Championship title in 2007 and 2010, which is unprecedented for a rider from Turkey, a country that had never seen internationally acclaimed riders before the Sofuoğlu family entered the scene.
Davutoglu says they will foil all attempts that reach out for Turkey's national will and resources masked as anti-graft efforts
Haniyeh said the Turkish support has proven vital in easing the suffering of the residents of the blockaded Gaza Strip.
Energy minister says government plans large-scale investment in Kahramanmaras, indicating foreign interest in similar investments in Turkey's Mediterranean city
Some 1,122 -over 26 percent of total- of foreign-partnered companies were founded directly by Syrians or as partners with local businessmen between January and November.
Turkey's AFAD says the government spent nearly $12 million in aid to shelter-seekers from Kobani
Hundreds of people from all backgrounds have gathered in Ankara at the Pakistan embassy to honour the victims of the Peshawar attack this week.
"You will respect the decisions of Turkish judiciary and the rule of law," says Erdogan in caustic response to EU criticism of recent police probe and detentions
Turkey will be an extra regional observer at the Central American Integration System in 2015.
Three formal acquittals followed between 2006 and 2011, but the Istanbul criminal court reopened the case again, and last year sentenced Selek, who lives in France, to life in prison.
Turkish President Erdogan has said that Turkey and Qatar stand together with the oppressed people of the world
Istanbul prosecutor asks court to issue arrest warrant for U.S.-based preacher Gulen in a probe. He was charged with “managing a terror organization", making person devoid of his freedom by using force, threat or trick and Causing any administrative or juridical sanctions except from jail for aggrieved by slandering him
Three Turks detained recently in Germany are not linked with Turkey's National Intelligence Organization, the Turkish foreign ministry says.
Turkey could begin training and equipping moderate Syrian opposition fighters before March
International conference hears call for more public transportation to beat congestion in Turkey's largest city
Istanbul Penal Court rules for the arrest of four people including Hidayet Karaca, chairman of the Samanyolu Media Group, and releases eight others, including Ekrem Dumanli, editor-in-chief of Zaman newspaper.
Government plans to allow companies involved in cancelled South Stream Pipeline project to begin feasibility studies anyway, to avoid having the government pay compensation