World Bulletin / News Desk
Germany's Justice Ministry has outlined a planned new law that will allow the circumcision of infant boys and end months of legal uncertainty after a local court banned the practice.
The ruling in June by a district court in Cologne outraged Muslims and Jews and sparked an emotional debate in the country, leaving an embarrassed government to promise legislation by the autumn protecting the right to circumcise.
Although the ban applied only to the Cologne region, doctors across the country refused to carry out operations because of what they saw as a risk of legal action.
The outline draft of a new bill states that the operation should take place "with the most effective pain relief possible" and only if parents have been fully informed about the nature of the procedure, a ministry spokesman said.
Generally doctors would carry out circumcisions but if the baby boy is less than six months old than it can also performed by another qualified person, such as a mohel, a Jewish individual specially trained in circumcising.
The ministry's outline bill, a first but critical step towards creating the new law, has been sent to Germany's federal states ahead of a consultation with experts due later this week.
According to the spokesman the outlines were based on parents' constitutional right to bring up their children and decide on all matters concerning them. The state, however, has a responsibility as watchdog to protect a child's wellbeing.
The speed with which national lawmakers agreed in July to pass a new law underscored sensitivity to charges of intolerance in a country haunted by its Nazi past. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Germany risked becoming a laughing stock if Jews were not allowed to practise their rituals.
Around 4 million Muslims, many of whom are from Turkey are registered as living in Germany along with about 120,000 Jews.
The Cologne court, ruling in the case of a Muslim boy who suffered bleeding after circumcision, said the practice inflicted bodily harm and should not be carried out on young boys, although it could be practised on older males with consent.
The arrests in the southeastern city of Teulada and the enclave of Ceuta in northern Morocco came a day after Spanish police detained four men with alleged links to people involved in the Brussels airport and metro attacks last year.
Slated for Tuesday, election of new Libyan central bank governor is indefinitely postponed by parliamentary official
Unknown attackers in northern Iraq briefly disable strategic Kirkuk-Ceyhan oil pipeline
The ship was heading towards Mljet Island on an "urgent medical transport" mission when the accident occurred on Tuesday evening near the popular tourist city, according to the ministry responsible for maritime affairs.
The bombings came two days after multiple suicide attacks near the strategic city that killed four members of the civilian joint taskforce (JTF) and injured two others.
The line was shut between Bressanone and Fortezza to the north to allow inspectors to assess what happened. Passengers were being transferred to buses for that part of their journeys.
German chancellor urges governments at Women20 Summit to do more to economically empower women
Trump's former national security advisor could face up to 5 years in prison for breaking the law
Prisoners told the Journal Sentinel that Thomas spent the last days of his life in agony, begging for water, in vain.
The opposition urged protesters to march on central Caracas, a pro-Maduro bastion where the seat of government is located.
The leaders of the other 27 EU nations will meet on April 29 to set down the bloc's red lines, though the talks will not begin until June.
Rather than efforts to keep the peace, the conflict is escalating in the war-ravaged country, said head of UN mission
US District Judge William Orrick says executive order unconstitutional, lawsuits likely to succeed
Ankara does not recognize monitoring decision, stands ready to reconsider EU accession, Turkish president says
The four were among nine men arrested in a vast operation targeting suspected extremists that was carried out in the northeastern region of Catalonia in conjunction with Belgian police, Catalan police said in a statement.
The incident occurred on Monday night, with the traditional flat-bottomed boat overturning off Bettenty, an island area just north of The Gambia, with 72 on board.