World Bulletin / News Desk
Helene Flautre, Co-chair of Turkey-EU Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC), has said that the EU-Turkey JPC had not been cancelled.
Upon news claiming that the meeting was cancelled as EU term president Greek Cypriot administration wanted to attend the meeting too, Flautre released a statement on Wednesday, denying the claims.
Both Turkish and European parliaments very much agree to hold the meeting and also to give new momentum to our interparliamentary relations, she said.
Flautre noted, "it has been brought to my attention that the Turkish press has reported yesterday that the forthcoming 70th EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee meeting, scheduled to take place in the second semester 2012 in Turkey, would be cancelled. This is a factually incorrect information."
She said, "in my recent letter to co-chair Afif Demirkiran, chair of the Turkish parliamentary delegation to the JPC, I have, firstly, proposed a JPC Bureau meeting to take place on 19 October in Turkey, as usual practise before a regular JPC meeting; and secondly, I have suggested that the 70th JPC meeting could be held between December 19 and 21, 2012 in Turkey, instead of the originally scheduled meeting end-October and beginning-November, which will be almost impossible to stick to from a practical point of view."
"I would like to emphasise that the third JPC meeting this year would be a great opportunity to mark the 7th anniversary of the start of accession negotiations as well as 70th meeting of the JPC since its establishment in 1965. Moreover, the holding of this meeting is of great importance to highlight our long lasting and constructive interparliamentary relations, before the end of this year," she said.
We have many things to discuss and both parliaments wish to have a positive input into the accession process of Turkey to the European Union, she added.
Gurbulak-Bazargan customs gate between Iran and Turkey to be rebuilt, Turkish trade minister Tufenkci says
Friday's dailies cover speculation on the identity of the person behind Wednesday's deadly blast in Bursa
Mortar shells had been fired into Gaziantep province, which borders Syria
Says China’s deputy PM has told him a committee will be sent to Turkey to review travel warning issued to Chinese citizens
Ash Carter grilled by lawmaker about US support to PKK offshoot in Syria
New deal involves military agreement to deploy Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) to Qatar
Thursday's newspapers cover Turkish President Erdogan's remarks on secularism debate plus a suicide bomb attack in northwestern province of Bursa
20 others wounded after a female suicide bomber blew herself at a historic bazaar in northwestern Bursa province
So far, 325,000 Syrian children have been schooled, Turkish minister of national education says
Ahmet Davutoglu's remarks come hours after suicide blast in Bursa in northwestern Turkey
Turkish Development Minister Yilmaz meets Kurdish Regional Government's Deputy PM Talabani
Turkish president appreciates Croatia for allowing Muslims to freely practice their faith
Attack takes place at entrance of historic bazaar in Bursa near Ulu Mosque
EU foreign policy chief and European Commission president say Turkey to get visa-free deal if all 72 criteria are met
We need to raise our economic and commercial ties to meet the level of our political ties, says Turkish President Erdogan
'Secularism will feature in the new constitution we draft as a principle that guarantees citizens' freedom of religion,' Turkish premier says