World Bulletin / News Desk
Nearly 1,300 people have sought treatment in a hospital in Terme, a district in Samsun province, with authorities saying that they suspect possible contamination in the district's water supply network being the culprit.
On Sept. 24, large numbers of people came to Terme State Hospital, complaining of diarrhea, nausea and high fever. As the number of patients quickly started to rise, authorities suspecting water contamination sent samples from the district's drinking water supply to laboratories for testing.
Samsun Provincial Health Director Mustafa Kasapoğlu stated that they determined that the chlorine level in the drinking water was low. He said in a statement on Wednesday that the local authorities had been notified, adding that the Terme Municipality had already pumped chlorine into the water supply, normalizing its chlorine level.
A local health official on Thursday said low levels of chlorine did not necessarily indicate water contamination, adding that they were still waiting for the results of tests run on the samples.
Kasapoğlu in his statement on Wednesday further stated that the number of cases reported by hospitals was decreasing. He also said the chlorine level in the water might be high on the first few days due to the added chlorine and that this might cause side effects such as nausea or stomach pain.
However, the same local official from the public health department of the Terme District Governor's Office said no excessive levels of chlorine in the water supply had been detected. “This did not happen,” he said, adding, “The chlorine level in the water is not above normal.”
Kasapoğlu and local health officials also warned locals to boil tap water before drinking it, as some bacteria and microbes might be resistant to chlorine. However, whether the hospital rush was caused by water contamination will become clear only after test results are available, officials stated.
Meanwhile, hospital officials said that 13 children were in serious condition.
Turkey detains Gulen's nephew after attempted coup, refresh for updates
The detention period to not exceed 30 days during state of emergency, official gazette reveals
EU has consistently criticized Turkey since the coup bid but Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has hit back saying that the EU was prejudiced and their statements contradictory
Istanbul judge Irfan Karagoz was remanded in custody on Friday
Rifles, grenades found by gendarmes near Marmaris hotel
Articles in Western media mischaracterize the state of emergency, ignore FETO's threat to democracy
Erdogan visits parliament for first time since failed overthrow
73 suspects have alleged links to Fetullah Gulen Extremist Organization
Since the power cut, US forces at Incirlik used back-up generators so they could continue aerial strikes against ISIL targets in neighboring Syria.
21-year-old Omer Halid Dervise remains in a coma after being shot from behind during July 15 coup attempt
With Turkish flags in hand, tens of thousands gather at night on Istanbul's Bosphorus bridge, the symbol of the fight against coup attempt, where tanks opened fire on civilians on July 15
For first time since July 15 failed putsch, Turkish president will inspect parts of parliament hit by bombs and gunfire
Normalization process between Russia, Turkey continues despite military coup attempt: Russian Embassy in Ankara
More than 20 wounded in Manisa, when train crashes into minibus carrying farm workers in the early morning
Turkish Deputy PM Kurtulmus says state of emergency is declared to more effectively put coup supporters to justice
Former economy star Ali Babacan says ratings agencies should talk to Turkish officials, public first