World Bulletin / News Desk
Work started early on Tuesday to open former President Turgut Özal's grave, as part of a belated investigation into the cause of the 1993 death of the president.
A crime investigation team, a bomb disposal team, police officers and officials from the Forensic Medicine Council are ready at the gravesite. Heavy machinery was deployed to the area early in the morning to carry out the work at the site which has been surrounded by steel plates so that it couldn't be seen from outside.
İstanbul Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Oktay Erdoğan and ATK President Haluk İnce are also at Özal's gravesite -- located in İstanbul's Topkapı district -- to supervise the work.
The case was opened earlier this year, after a number of witnesses spoke of unusual circumstances on the day of the death of the president, who was reported to have suffered from a heart attack. The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office recently issued a warrant to exhume the remains of the president for toxicology testing.
The prosecutor's office is also investigating a number of unusual circumstances that came to light following Özal's supposed heart attack. Certain facts -- such as that on the day of his death his in-house doctor and nurse were both out, that staff were not able to start the ambulance due to a mechanical problem, the lack of first aid equipment at the presidential residence and other similar issues -- have led to suspicions surrounding the death of the former president.
In addition, the office is focused on inconsistencies between the statements of Özal's doctor and his family members regarding the lack of an autopsy. Özal's doctor, Cengiz Aslan, claimed that the family of the former president did not request an autopsy, but the Özal family has denied this claim.
Turkish military says the PKK terrorists were killed in air and ground operations
Turkey has not compromised over its laws even after the July 15 coup attempt, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday.
PKK has hit eight Turkish soldiers killing them in an ambush in Hakkari, in the southeast of the country
Turkish president lashes out at US Central Command chief who says post-coup purge might affect relations
Social Security Institution to pay monthly salaries on top of one-time compensation to victims of July 15 failed coup
Seyit Ali Gumustas spent evening treating wounded on Bogazici (Bosphorus) Bridge
Binali Yildirim says Akinci Air Base in Ankara, center for July 15 coup-plotters, will be closed
In an interview, Ilknur Inceoz tells how members of Turkish parliament responded to failed coup
Turkey wants to export 15.7 billion cubic meters of natural gas, Russian Energy Minister Novak says
In letter to Turkish-US friendship group, co-chairman says Turkey's respect for rule of law will not be compromised
16 others suspended from duty over alleged links to Fetullah Gulen, accused of being behind July 15 coup attempt
Three businessmen linked to Fethullah Gulen have been arrested the coup
Central Command chief says post-coup purge might effect Turkey-US military cooperation
Following end of third round in Ankara, fourth round will be held in Islamabad in August
Turkey asks Germany to extradite Gulenist prosecutors