World Bulletin / News Desk
Iraq's Finance Ministry has begun paying an initial $650 million to Iraqi Kurdistan for oil companies working in the autonomous region, Deputy Prime Minister Rosh Nuri al-Shawish told Reuters on Tuesday.
Baghdad and Kurdistan agreed last month to draw a line under a dispute over oil payments, after the latter pledged to continue exports and Baghdad said it would pay foreign companies working there.
Kurdistan has angered Baghdad by signing deals with foreign oil majors, such as Exxon and Chevron, contracts the central government rejects as illegal.
"The federal Finance Ministry has started transferring the first oil payment of $650 million to the Kurdish region," said Shawish, a Kurdish member of the central government negotiating team.
In April, Kurdistan halted shipments of its oil in protest over what it said were overdue payments from the central government to companies in the Kurdish region.
It later resumed shipments, but threatened to cut them off again if there was no agreement on payment.
Kurdish Energy Minister Ashti Hawrami said on Sunday payments would be transferred to the autonomous region that same day, offering hope the long-running conflict is easing.
The oil contracts row is part of a broader battle between the Baghdad government and Kurdistan over oil rights, territory and regional autonomy that is straining Iraq's uneasy federal union.
Japan's already fragile ties with China have soured over their competing claims to a string of uninhabited East China Sea islets
The plaintiffs, all immigrants who are either practicing Muslims or are from predominantly Muslim nations, complain their immigration or naturalization petitions were illegally thwarted
John Tefft will go to Moscow as U.S.-Russia ties are severely strained over Washington's sanctions on Russia due to its support for rebels in eastern Ukraine.
Thousands flocked to beaches to celebrate Eid al-Fitr despite meteorological warnings.
The requested military supplies include tanks, sniper equipment, armored personnel carriers, artillery and ammunition, and also body armor, helmets, fuel trucks and ambulances.
Kenya's President Kenyatta said they would discuss the funding issue with American investors on the sidelines of the US-African leaders summit next week.
Over 13 lives were lost and properties were also destroyed.
"Gen. Haftar has not left Libya and is currently preparing for a major military operation in Benghazi," his spokesman Mohamed al-Hegazi said.
The announcement comes after Israel bombed Gaza's only power plant, forcing a continued power outage across the embattled Gaza Strip.
The quake had struck nine miles (14 km) southeast of Algiers and its epicentre was recorded at a relatively shallow depth of 6.2 miles
Israel has attacked homes, schools, hospitals, Gaza's only power plant and U.N. premises in apparent violation of the Geneva Conventions, according to Navi Pillay
White House press secretary Josh Earnest says there is little doubt that the UN school was shelled by Israel.
Egypt underlined the importance of each side's abidance by the ceasefire until the beginning of the negotiations.
Residents said the blast shook buildings like there was an earthquake, toppling small shops and overturning cars.
Nearly 200 people have been killed since the violence erupted two weeks ago in Tripoli and also in the eastern city of Benghazi
The White House described the resupply of ammunition disclosed as the fighting raged this week as "routine."