World Bulletin / News Desk
Work started early on Tuesday to open late President Turgut Özal's grave, as part of a belated investigation into the cause of the 1993 death of the president.
A criminal investigation team, a bomb disposal team, police officers and officials from the Council of Forensic Medicine (ATK) are standing ready at the gravesite. Heavy machinery was deployed to the area early in the morning to carry out the work at the site, which has been surrounded by steel walls so that it cannot be seen from outside.
İstanbul Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Oktay Erdoğan and ATK President Haluk İnce are also at Özal's gravesite -- located in İstanbul's Topkapı district -- to supervise the work.
İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Turan Çolakkadı also inspected the exhumation site in the afternoon. In initial comments, Çolakkadı said experts found that Özal's body is “suitable for [forensic] examination.”
The case was opened earlier this year after a number of witnesses spoke of unusual circumstances on the day of the death of the then-president, who was reported to have suffered from a heart attack. The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office recently issued a warrant to exhume the remains of the president for toxicology testing.
The prosecutor's office is also investigating a number of unusual circumstances that came to light following Özal's supposed heart attack. Certain facts -- such as that on the day of his death his in-house doctor and nurse were both out, that staff were not able to start the ambulance due to a mechanical problem, the lack of first aid equipment at the presidential residence and other similar issues -- have led to suspicions surrounding the death of the former president.
In addition, the office is focused on inconsistencies between the statements of Özal's doctor and his family members regarding the lack of an autopsy. Özal's doctor, Cengiz Aslan, claimed that the family of the former president did not request an autopsy, but the Özal family has denied this claim.
Handover ceremony held at many ministries following Cabinet reshuffle on Wednesday
More than 194 million vehicles used Turkey's bridges, highways in first half of 2017
March aims to commemorate young teacher killed by PKK terrorists, CHP lawmaker says
Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin reiterates Turkey's expectation from Europe, US to extradite FETO members
Ferit Polat was among 7 terrorists killed in counter-terrorism operation in Kars province
Turkish premier attends ceremonies marking 43rd anniversary of Turkey’s intervention in Cyprus as guarantor power
Turkish Foreign Ministry says 'double standards' on show in German commentary over recent Istanbul arrests
Foreign ministry spokesman says Ankara rejects 'Malorossiya' entity in rebel-controlled eastern Ukraine
Decision follows Justice Ministry circular banning clothes bearing slogans from being worn in certain Turkish trials
Binali Yildirim calls Iraqi counterpart, congratulates Baghdad on driving ISIL from northern city
Use of drugs among youth in Turkey is close to 10 percent, Numan Kurtulmus says
Foreign ministers exchange views on bilateral, regional cooperation, Turkish top diplomat Mevlut Cavusoglu says
Government spent around $2.5B on research and development, an increase of 21.6 percent year-on-year in 2016
15 ministers remain in the same post, 5 new ministers join the Cabinet, and 6 ministers are repositioned within the Cabinet, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım says.
Meeting expected to begin at midday at presidential complex
BIST 100 index rises 0.40 percent while US dollar/Turkish lira rate stands at 3.52