World Bulletin / News Desk
A new funeral ceremony was held on Friday for the late Turkish president Turgut Özal, whose remains were exhumed on Tuesday on the orders of prosecutors investigating suspected foul play in his death 19 years ago.
Turgut Özal's family requested a plain funeral ceremony be held for the late president. In line with religious customs, the family buried Özal with a simple gravesite rather than the original marble monument from his first interment. European Union (EU) Affairs Minister Egemen Bağış and İstanbul Governor Hüseyin Avni Mutlu were in attendance at the ceremony along with the late president's wife, Semra Özal, his daughter, Zeynep Özal, and his son, Ahmet Özal.
The case investigating the cause of Özal's death was opened earlier this year, after a number of witnesses spoke of unusual circumstances on the day of the death of the president, who was reported to have suffered a heart attack. The prosecutor's office recently issued a warrant to exhume the president's remains for toxicology testing.
The remains of the late president were exhumed on Tuesday for medical examination.
Özal led Turkey out of military rule in the 1980s and drove far-reaching economic reform.
Operations were carried out in Istanbul, Eskisehir, Aydin, and Zonguldak provinces
Turkish, Russian leaders agree to continue cooperation, coordination in fight against terrorism
Turkish foreign minister held talks with his Jordanian counterpart in Amman
‘We do not see any reason that they [Assad regime’s forces] clash with our soldiers,’ says Erdogan Ozegen
969 undocumented migrants attempted to cross Turkish-Syrian and Turkish-Greek borders
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu reasserts Turkey’s sensitivity towards Syria’s territorial integrity
Earlier President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also offered his condolences letter to Iran’s Hassan Rouhani
Turkey's ruling party and opposition MHP agree to make some changes in electoral system to form allience
On day 30 of Operation Olive Branch, Turkey targets terrorist PYD/PKK positions in northwestern Syria
Turkey is against chemical weapons and has never used them, says Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
No decision on any matter concerning our region can be taken if Turkey is not included, says President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Saturday's attack in Borno State left 21 dead, 22 injured
Binali Yildirim urges Germany to put behind misunderstandings that had risen over past few months
Mevlut Cavusoglu will discuss bilateral relations, regional developments with Ayman al-Safadi
Erdogan says Turkish military advanced 300 square kilometres during Operation Olive Branch