World Bulletin/News Desk
State Department officials in May denied a request from the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli to allow a security team to continue using an official U.S. DC-3 aircraft, suggesting they could charter a plane instead, an unclassified email obtained by Reuters shows.
The email dated May 3, carrying the subject line "Termination of Tripoli DC-3 Support," was copied to Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya who was killed with three other Americans in an attack on the Benghazi mission on Sept. 11 this year.
The email is among documents U.S. investigators are examining to determine whether requests before the Benghazi attack for security improvements at U.S. diplomatic posts in Libya were denied by State Department headquarters.
The email says Under Secretary of State for Management Patrick Kennedy "has determined that support for Embassy Tripoli using the DC-3 will be terminated immediately."
The diplomatic post's request "to continue use of the plane in support of the SST was considered. However, it was decided that, if needed, NEA will charter a special flight for their final departure." NEA refers to the State Department's Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs which covers Libya and other countries in that region.
SST stands for Security Support Team, and according to the State Department's website such a team's job is to enhance security at U.S. embassies and consulates that face civil unrest, hostile hosts or any other threat.
It was not immediately clear whether the lack of the plane played any role in security problems at U.S. facilities in Libya, culminating with the Sept. 11 attack.
The plane in question was officially assigned to the State Department's international narcotics and law enforcement bureau, which provides foreign governments with assistance fighting organized crime and drug trafficking.
The email ends with "Regards!" and was signed by the State Department's post management officer for Libya and Saudi Arabia based in Washington.
State Department spokesman Mark Toner described the decision to move the plane as standard practice.
"This plane was in Iraq at the time and moved to support Libya early on when there was no commercial airline service into Libya. This is a very common practice in places where there is no commercial airline service. When commercial service was subsequently established we then moved that asset back to other State Department business," he told a news briefing.
Toner said he did not have information on the plane's operational schedule while in Libya, or on the specific date when it was moved out of the country.
Forestry and Water Minister Veysel Eroglu says Turkey ‘is among top three in terms of water projects’
Hamid brandishes his pincers at the heart of the joyous racket of the Sunday market of Beni Yakhlef, a rural town about 30 kilometres (20 miles) from the seaside metropolis of Casablanca.
At least 41 people died in wave of weekend fires, the second such tragedy in months
Executive order 'plainly discriminates based on nationality', Hawaii judge Derrick Watson rules
One of the fishermen was shot and has been admitted to hospital
The final vote on the legislation is to be made in the upper house Senate after the lower house National Assembly overwhelmingly approved it last week.
On Monday, Iraqi government forces captured oil-rich Kirkuk from Peshmerga forces
Anti-terror airstrike conducted in northern Iraq's Zap region, military says
Bipartisan agreement faces up-hill battle to secure enough support in Congress
New report says online sales will more than double in a decade, with Amazon leading the way
Turkish diplomatic official says Presidency of Religious Affairs' relief activities reached thousands of Nigerians in 2017
Second reshuffle in 12 months sees currency fall 0.5 pct against US dollar
Iran has three main crossings with northern Iraq’s Kurdish region
40 Somalis injured in Saturday's truck bomb attack in Mogadishu were airlifted to Turkey for medical treatment on Monday
Afghan-born US citizen faces separate charges in shootout with police, attempted bombing of military charity race
Trump's threat to ditch the landmark 2015 agreement, which saw Tehran dramatically scale back its nuclear ambitions in return for an end to punishing sanctions, has sparked a chorus of foreign support for the pact.