World Bulletin/News Desk
Mexican police officers are among the suspects under investigation in the killing on Wednesday of a son of the former chairman of the country's most powerful political party.
Homero Ramos, attorney general of the state of Coahuila, said on Friday seven people had been arrested in connection with the killing of Jose Eduardo Moreira, son of Humberto Moreira, ex-chairman of the Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI.
Ramos told Mexican radio that local officials appeared to be involved in the murder, among them police officers.
"First of all, there's evidence that some municipal police participated ... in what happened," he said.
Mexican police are frequently implicated in serious crimes as they are often in the employ of cash-rich drug cartels. Local police can earn as little as 7,000 pesos ($550) a month.
Mexico's political establishment was stunned by the killing of Jose Eduardo Moreira, a member of one of the best-known political families in the PRI, a party that ruled Mexico from 1929 to 2000.
The PRI will return to power when Enrique Pena Nieto assumes the presidency on Dec. 1.
The body of Moreira was found near Ciudad Acuna, a city just south of the U.S. border renowned as a crossing point for drug traffickers.
According to some media reports, the Zetas cartel carried out the murder in revenge for the killing of a relative of senior gang member Miguel Trevino by security forces in Coahuila this week. Ramos said that was one possible explanation.
Humberto Moreira governed Coahuila before he became PRI chairman and his brother Ruben is now state governor.
On Thursday, Moreira described his son, who worked for the state government, as a victim of the criminal violence plaguing Mexico, but did not offer more details.
More than 60,000 people have been killed in violence related to the drug gangs since President Felipe Calderon took office six years ago and launched a military offensive against the cartels.
Humberto Moreira, who was a critic of Calderon's handling of the cartel violence, stepped down as PRI chairman last December after a scandal surrounding his management of Coahuila's finances. The state's debt ballooned under his watch.
New Unified Combatant Command 'will strengthen our cyberspace operations'
Opposition lawmakers refuse to attend session announcing decree
The 15 council members held the commemoration at the start of a session dedicated to the crisis in Yemen.
Catalonia police spokesman Josep Lluis Trapero added that a driver who mowed down crowds of pedestrians in the first attack in a busy Barcelona street Thursday could be among five suspects later shot dead in a nearby city.
Massoud Barzani, General Joseph Leonard Fotel discuss fight against ISIL, planned referendum on region’s independence
Sergey Lavrov, Sigmar Gabriel say there is 'no alternative' to political, diplomatic solutions
UN agency says civilians in South Sudan keep flocking to Ethiopia as fight between government forces, rebels continues
Around 1,000 migrants, refugees to be moved to 18 sites across Ile-de-France region
Victim's name will not be released until family is informed, says Turkey's embassy in Madrid
For his part, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told RTL radio that "the number of those who have been seriously injured may perhaps be even higher at around 17."
New York Police Department officials said the force would hold a press conference but declined to provide scheduling details.
Death toll feared to rise due to severe conditions of the many injured
The pickup truck, which had an improvised white wooden trailer constructed over the back, was transporting them in "overcrowded and unsanitary conditions," said a state police report seen by AFP.
At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 injured when a driver deliberately slammed his vehicle into crowds on Barcelona's most popular street -- Las Ramblas -- in what police qualified as a "terror attack."
The van attack that mowed down pedestrians on Barcelona's most famous street on Thursday killing at least 13 people was the latest fatal assault on a European city.
The agreement to open the market potentially worth $10 million a year came after US Vice President Mike Pence met this week with Argentina's president Mauricio Macri.